The canadian by rapido trains

LATX

I don't know if this was discussed already but I was on youtube and this popped up:

http://youtu.be/lTs4ltCbrA4

I must say if I modeled the east coast i would of buy this train but i am really thinking of getting a GMDD FP9 just because.

I honsetly think i am falling in love with Rapido Trains

Last edited by a moderator:
the GMD FP9A

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6QqGH2cTAQg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6QqGH2cTAQg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I figure that its just a beautiful model fully detailed and all

If I was building that HO layout I wanted, I'd be all over this train, even though it didn't run on the area I'm modeling. It is my one regret about switching to N.

I preordered it. And last week I got an email from Dallas Model Works, (who I preordered through), and they told me I have to pay a $321 deposit by end of this week, or my order will be canceled.

So I canceled it.

Rico, I have to say, now that CP owns DM&E I pay attention a little more to their company. The DM&E line runs right by my house so we've had all kinds of older CP locos in the consists. Oh, and I already have a CP GP35 I inherited from my uncle when he gave me his trains in the 1980's!;)

Michael, I think you'll find a different kind of discussion about this train on this forum!:D Did you ever find out if it's refundable? I'm sure the info is in that thread but I stopped reading it after a while.

I preordered it. And last week I got an email from Dallas Model Works, (who I preordered through), and they told me I have to pay a $321 deposit by end of this week, or my order will be canceled.

So I canceled it.

Probably a wise move on your part. As much as I like Rapido trains, I prefer to inspect them at the hobby shop. Every product of theirs I have had issues with QC in regards to assembly and I had to tweak them all. As for wobbly wheels, trucks or missing parts, I've had no problem with Rapido replacing them free of charge including shipping.

So I canceled it.

The requirement for a deposit on the train set was included when they first announced the project a year and a half ago (maybe before then), it isn't something that just popped up. The deadline for placing the deposit was well noted too, so it also should not be a surprise.

Probably a wise move on your part. As much as I like Rapido trains, I prefer to inspect them at the hobby shop. Every product of theirs I have had issues with QC in regards to assembly and I had to tweak them all. As for wobbly wheels, trucks or missing parts, I've had no problem with Rapido replacing them free of charge including shipping.

You probably won't have the opportunity to inspect a set unless you see one ordered by someone else. By then it will be too late to order one. All of this has been explained in Rapido's newsletter, they state there aren't any dealers ordering the set without deposits. So there won't be any to buy. Probably will be on eBay, but I imagine at much higher prices.

I must say from the videos on youtube.com they look like highly detailed models.
And personally If it was my modelling era i would buy the train, But for those who don't know i only model Amtrak in the F40PHR era so the LRC i order is pushing it. But personally I am thinking of ordering a FP9A in the VIA scheme and have it on the line has a restored historical piece

OK, I'll bite....

Having seen "them"personally in "the flesh" while Jason did his tour, I must say the passenger cars are light years ahead from anything in the market.
(Didn't I post something with pictures here about it?)

They are , by far, better in every respect (paint, windows, details, accuracy, craftsmanship etc, etc, etc..) than anything else on the market.

As stated before, it was well announced at the very beginning that this set
was available by pre-ordering only. So no surprise there.

About the deposit and more: http://www.rapidotrains.com/telegraph31.html

That's 25% of the total cost . So $375.00. For a train set like that it is a steal. Nobody is asking you to dish out $1499.95 at the start. In any case
this is a matter of opinion and disposable income of course.

You may be lucky on e-bay as far as finding some of them but at a much higher price in the future.

Truly great Canadian, hey?

Cheers

Museum quality from what I've seen. If I had the 1499.95 I'd be ordering a set, I might be considering an FP-9a though since you can buy those seperately from my understanding.

You probably won't have the opportunity to inspect a set unless you see one ordered by someone else. By then it will be too late to order one. All of this has been explained in Rapido's newsletter, they state there aren't any dealers ordering the set without deposits. So there won't be any to buy. Probably will be on eBay, but I imagine at much higher prices.

In this case I would pre order knowing that Rapido will and has for me replaced anything defective or missing.

Having seen "them"personally in "the flesh" while Jason did his tour, I must say the passenger cars are light years ahead from anything in the market.
(Didn't I post something with pictures here about it?)

They are , by far, better in every respect (paint, windows, details, accuracy, craftsmanship etc, etc, etc..) than anything else on the market.

As stated before, it was well announced at the very beginning that this set
was available by pre-ordering only. So no surprise there.

About the deposit and more: http://www.rapidotrains.com/telegraph31.html

That's 25% of the total cost . So $375.00. For a train set like that it is a steal. Nobody is asking you to dish out $1499.95 at the start. In any case
this is a matter of opinion and disposable income of course.

You may be lucky on e-bay as far as finding some of them but at a much higher price in the future.

Truly great Canadian, hey?

Cheers

They are certainly better than anything I've seen on the market. So nice that I was hesitant at one point to do any weathering.

I was so pleased when they came out with this baggage express car; finally something appropriate for my branchline. Now I hope someday they make a CNR combine, a heavyweight, and a Budd car (I'm sure they'd make a better one than Proto did). For now my branchline is serviced by a Doodle bug and a Budd car.

Also I love their steam generator, which I don't really have any use for, for now, but I just had to get one.

Back