The C Virus and MRR clubs

M

MHinLA

I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't been thought of yet.. But just in case, it stands to reason that RR clubs should remain dark for now...
You know; all those trains in such close proximity of one another, especially in yards..It'd likely be cabooses that would disappear first...Next would likely be rail itself since they touch end to end with joiners,...leave alone all those dirty wheels constantly rolling on top of them...One prevention-idea might be to go back to analog block control so we could at least isolate the block where the illness may be emanating from....

Just joshin' y'all..

As of today it's reported the virus to be spreading, not waning....In the 1950s polio too was beginning to spread worldwide..Jonas Salk founded the vaccine for it. And to prove it was safe, injected himself first, and polio was then eradicated...I pray there's a Jonas Salk out there somewhere in the world who will create the vaccine desperately needed now...right now !

Last edited by a moderator:
My local club cancelled operations last month. Then, more recently the museum building that the layout is located in also shut down, so now we can't even access the layout. I think they said it was theoretically possible for one member to get in with permission, but there's really no need to do so. It's locked away for an undetermined amount of time until things calm down.

As for vaccines, I also pray they'll get one done in record time. I also hope that they'll find a cure. That quinine stuff apparently shows promise, though there's some debate on the effectiveness. Hopefully they'll get it dialed in. A cure would be the best thing right now, especially if it's one made from existing medicines so it doesn't need the year or more of testing that vaccines will.

I was 17 when it came out , I remember it well. I believe this corona virus exists yet I also feel it was not by accident and I'm not going to allow this to instill fear in me. It also reminds me of one of those things we will never know the truth about.

I would have been four when this was originally released. But I seem to recall getting a copy as a flexi-record in a Mad Magazine in the 70s. Can't find any reference to it on the Google though so I might be mistaken.

I did a pretty thorough search on them as well, and I couldn't find any trace of it being distributed via Mad Magazine. They made several, but they all seem to be stuff created for them. It makes sense, as their circulation was pretty big "back in the day" and I'm guessing royalties for "They're coming to take me away" would have been pretty significant.

Since the lyrics sound like something Mad Magazine would create, maybe you just kind of mixed the idea of the Flexi Disc with the crazy lyrics and figured the two had to go together?

This virus thing is really turning into a nightmare. I haven't seen anyone sick yet I do see more and more masks and gloves. I go into a store , most of it looks like a hospital now with the bandanna's it looks like a hospital /store getting robbed. I don't get what the deal is trying to get paper products, all the shelves are void of even napkins , I should have stocked up and now we have hording. We have such a freak show mayor and governor here both just winding up the fear now my wife since we are both past 70 feels they are going to take her away because of what these self elected freaks are saying. Saying they are going to test people at home What ! I go out , neither of us are sick physically. None of the people in the stores are sick. Now Ralphs the super market have marked lines 6 feet apart on the floor and a plastic shield between you and the cashier or rather human scanner . Then as always I bring my own bag and the young fellow with his gloves says you know you have to bag yourself I said that's nothing new most of the time there are no baggers and I asked why because I brought my own bag , yes , and how are your bags safer no answer then the 30 cents drops into this filthy little tray , I said that's the tip and by the way since I've been coming to this same store for 30 years do I get free bags. I'd be rich if I knew how to make paper towels or bath tissue , perhaps we can use newspaper.

Even the gas station people wear masks and gloves and as I pump the over priced gas into my very old car I look around and people are handling the pump and not wearing gloves yet have a mask on. Are we now to stay safe to wash all the change and microwave the paper bills , what about the debit card you shove into any machine then handle that pen or punch the pin number. You can't wash that yet people place in back into their wallet and bring the virus home right. I can think of hundreds of ways people who are so afraid are going to screw up. Now dogs and cats should not be touched , we lost out last cat end of last June and I assure you I and my wife would be still touching him.

This is not the country I grew up in. These politicians can say anything ( nothing new there) , offer up anything, title it a fact without on plastic bags worth of proof.

I think there's a lot more going on than we're being told.
"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." Rahm Emanuel

Having to go out for the second time (first time last Friday to stock up on groceries..curbside pickup. Double and triple gloved. Wife had "surgical" masks left over from when her mother was still alive some years back. Double masked. I wore a plastic face shield I usually wear when doing machine work, over double masks. Both wore old clothes. Took them off in the garage, bagged them and threw them out. Washed hands for a slow count of thirty. Went upstairs and took a thorough shower including washing my hair. Shaved before suiting up so the virus can't lodge in my whiskers. Brought the food home in the back of my SUV, put the store bags on the driveway. Took things out one at a time and wiped them down with 91% isopropyl alcohol (70% when we ran out). Put the perishables in the refrig in the garage for three days. Wife is now taking stuff out of garage refrig, wiping down with more alky and then hot soapy water. Each layer of gloves gets stripped off separately in the correct way that turns them inside out! Don't know if this will be the answer, but it is all we can do.

Got to go to the drugstore for critical meds I need. So we go through the whole process again! Both of us over 70 (I'm almost 78 and have type 2 diabetes). Otherwise we will hunker in the bunker!
Good luck, all!

Back