The best and worse RR forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
grande man said:
No offence intended, but if you think things are moving to slowly, why not post more? ;) Start threads, post pics, reply to existing threads.
Tried that. Haven't you noticed how many threads now have me as the most recent poster. The threads I start get like 6 replies - not counting my replies to the replies - then die.

In response to the question asked, I visit the gauge more often than here. However I still visit this site at least once a week. I think that the weekend photo threads are this site's biggest asset, along with the weathering forum. I don't bother with the atlas or mr forums. Mostly comes down to how many quality forums can I check in a limited amount of time.

Hi, Folks. I don't check in very often (who am I again...?), but I do drop in to see what is happening. I really do wish this forum had more volume (and I accept that my lack of participation is instrumental...mea culpa). I like the volume and the pace on the MRR forums, but find it to be kind of repetitive after a while. I thought Bob Boudreau was a bit of a curmudgeon when I first registered over there because he harped a lot over the polls and poor seplling, but I think he might have been on to something after all. Being a curmudgeon, I mean.. :-D

So, the quality, tone, and general atmosphere here is more genteel, but the volume, the fiber if you will, just isn't enough for me.

I drop in to Joe Fugate's site occasionally, and to 2 Guys and Sum Trains. I haven't been over to The Guage (sorry, Bob), in many months. I registered way back, but they never permitted me to post....so I drifted. I'll take it as my loss.

I miss more activity from Chip, but can certainly understand why he prefers this place considering the hammering he has taken on the other forum in the past two weeks....sheesh! I see Grandpa C. has posted there for the first time in, like forever...

To finish, I am quite pleased with this place, and hope that the folks who chose their parents wisely will continue to drop in. :-o

Here's an idea for increasing the participation. Email your friends and invite them to sign up and talk trains with us. Please remember, we're after good, quality members.

Somehow, we seem to be in our own little corner of the web, and so far, haven't attracted many troublemakers. I'd like to see that continue. If we could pick up some traffic and maintain the quality, that would be the ultimate. Still, I'd much prefer to remain as we are than to sign up a group of problem members. It's no fun to read bickering/insulting/immature flaming type posts. I'm in model railroading to have fun. This is a place I've done just that. IMHO, this forum is a great asset to our hobby.

As a side note, much of the low volume of posts is seasonal. As the cooler weather arrives, we'll see participation pick back up. These are the dog days of summer...

I look in on two forums - Trains.com and here.

Trains.com is the better of the two for one reason (and this will piss off some people here - sorry): attitude. This forum comes across as a lot more clique-ish than Trains.com. There's also a real attitude of "THOSE guys are too stupid to come over here where the REAL modelers are!" from some prominent members (just look at some of the prior posts in this thread!).

I'm not saying that everyone here fits that mold, or even pointing out who seems to and who doesn't, but that's the general sense I get. Too bad, too, because the technical content can be pretty good, and there is much less chance of a flame war when discussing "deeper" modeling topics.

I could give specific examples, but that would also point out specific members of the forum. I'm not going to do that. That's just how it all strikes me.

Until the "we're better" attitude and the clique-ishness fades, this forum will remain second out of two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brunton said:
Trains.com is the better of the two for one reason (and this will piss off some people here - sorry): attitude. This forum comes across as a lot more clique-ish than Trains.com. There's also a real attitude of "THOSE guys are too stupid to come over here where the REAL modelers are!"

Hum, I haven't seen that at all. This has got to be one of the friendliest forums on the web. Differing viewpoints, I guess. :)

I believe it all has to do with one's personal experiences with any given forum. This one is my favorite mostly because I've had an easier time establishing friendships here than at any of the larger forums.

My guess is that, 'cliques' are probably the unfortunate result of people reaching their own comfort level as to how many [online] friendships they can maintain within their limited free time, and once that threshold is reached, they become more selective about who they dialogue with [beyond the usual "welcome aboard" reply, etc.]. Not necessarily a "we're-better-than-you-so-youre-not-invited" attitude, but "load balancing".

grande man said:
Hum, I haven't seen that at all. This has got to be one of the friendliest forums on the web. Differing viewpoints, I guess. :)
Yeah, there's no real analyzing of perceptions - things strike you one way, and me another, and a third person differently, too, even though we all look at the same thing.

This whole topic is somewhat pointless, IMHO. Let's face it, we all have our fav places to call home and are free to choose from what's out there. Discussing which is best/worst really serves no purpose other than to take time away from posting on the forum of our choice.

To those who like things here, but have suggestions to improve the forum, I'd suggest a PM to Bob. I think you'll find that he's open to discussing those suggestions.

To those that prefer another forum, no hard feelings. We hope you'll stop by and visit us now and then.

Right now, can we just let the topic fade away and talk some trains?:)

This is not what I had in mind.

I apologised since this has taken a turn "south"
and it was not my attention.

Delete - lock - move?

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back