Terminal block/Wiring question

mattm1124

Hey everyone!

New to the site and hobby, but have always loved model trains! Looking forward to learning from you all! I'm gradually building models and adding to the Platform I built. Basically, I was gifted an HO model Steelers train when I was younger and my wife was given a Lionel O gauge train. They've been in storage until we had the space to have them out and we finally do. I don't intend to keep the two scales together, but for now they are just to have them all out. My overall plan someday is to build a realistic set up with mountains, landscaping, ect. For now, we just have white felt down to act as snow.

My question revolves around wiring and terminal blocks or the best way to run wires without having to have them connected to the train power pack accessory option. I currently have some items running from the power pack, some running from the Lionel track, and I've also started using old 12v power cords I had laying around to run some lights. Doing it this way though, I'll run out of outlets in my surge protectors quickly.

I've come across some terminal blocks and was wondering if there are any you prefer? I've seen the 12 port MTH Terminal Hub. It says it's for O gauge. Does that just mean because it connects easily to my Lionel o gauge track power already? I've also seen a quick wires connect from Lowes.

lowes.jpg

My last question is gauge of wiring. Is there a rule on what to use and when? I saw a few atlas 20 gauge wires for sale. All 20 gauge, but different colors. Are they the same but various colors to easily differentiate?

Pictures of what I have going on are attached.

Thank you all in advance!

Matt

Attachments

• 20220121_074759.jpg
    20220121_074759.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220121_074809.jpg
    20220121_074809.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220121_074821.jpg
    20220121_074821.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220121_074832.jpg
    20220121_074832.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220121_074856.jpg
    20220121_074856.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 102
Welcome to the Forum! There is no reason you can't use those terminal blocks for either HO or O gage. It may be easier to wrap the wires around the larger terminal blocks. Atlas 20 GA wire will work for either, although for some applications you can get away with smaller wire (22 or even 24 the larger the number, the smaller the wire), for leads to light bulbs or LED's, provided the length isn't excessive (say over six to ten fee). The 20 GA Atlas wires in different colors are just to simplify connecting stuff. For example, I have a spool of 2-wire, black and white that can be used to connect the power pack to the rails. The white wire could be connected to the + terminal on the pack and then to the outside (sometimes called the North rail), and the black wire to the - terminal to the South rail...or visa versa, just so you don't cross them. Multiple wires may have red, blue, green, and yellow insulation. The gage of the wires in those combinations will be the same for all of them. Note: If you have a good-sized layout, where the distance from the powerpack to the farthest track is in excess of ten feet, you might want to run bus wires of 18, 16 or even 12 GA, and run smaller feeders to the track. That reduces the resistance in the longer wiring. You might try to pick up a book on wiring your model railroad.
Feel free to ask questions on the Forum. You will get a lot of help!

Hey everyone!

New to the site and hobby, but have always loved model trains! Looking forward to learning from you all! I'm gradually building models and adding to the Platform I built. Basically, I was gifted an HO model Steelers train when I was younger and my wife was given a Lionel O gauge train. They've been in storage until we had the space to have them out and we finally do. I don't intend to keep the two scales together, but for now they are just to have them all out. My overall plan someday is to build a realistic set up with mountains, landscaping, ect. For now, we just have white felt down to act as snow.

My question revolves around wiring and terminal blocks or the best way to run wires without having to have them connected to the train power pack accessory option. I currently have some items running from the power pack, some running from the Lionel track, and I've also started using old 12v power cords I had laying around to run some lights. Doing it this way though, I'll run out of outlets in my surge protectors quickly.

I've come across some terminal blocks and was wondering if there are any you prefer? I've seen the 12 port MTH Terminal Hub. It says it's for O gauge. Does that just mean because it connects easily to my Lionel o gauge track power already? I've also seen a quick wires connect from Lowes.

View attachment 139164

My last question is gauge of wiring. Is there a rule on what to use and when? I saw a few atlas 20 gauge wires for sale. All 20 gauge, but different colors. Are they the same but various colors to easily differentiate?

Pictures of what I have going on are attached.

Thank you all in advance!

Matt

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

Great layout! Reminds me of the train layouts they used to have at the Yankee Candle Flagship Store in Deerfield, MA.

I will admit I am useless when it comes to wiring and electrical work so I can’t help you there but if something does come up that I can actually help with, I’ll try to help haha.

There are many calculators online that will tell you what wire gauge to use based on the load (Amps) and distance run.

Welcome to the Forum.
We are all a happy to help new members, just ask, there's lots of help available.
Pop into the Coffee Shop and have a chat when your in the mood.

Welcome to the Forum! There is no reason you can't use those terminal blocks for either HO or O gage. It may be easier to wrap the wires around the larger terminal blocks. Atlas 20 GA wire will work for either, although for some applications you can get away with smaller wire (22 or even 24 the larger the number, the smaller the wire), for leads to light bulbs or LED's, provided the length isn't excessive (say over six to ten fee). The 20 GA Atlas wires in different colors are just to simplify connecting stuff. For example, I have a spool of 2-wire, black and white that can be used to connect the power pack to the rails. The white wire could be connected to the + terminal on the pack and then to the outside (sometimes called the North rail), and the black wire to the - terminal to the South rail...or visa versa, just so you don't cross them. Multiple wires may have red, blue, green, and yellow insulation. The gage of the wires in those combinations will be the same for all of them. Note: If you have a good-sized layout, where the distance from the powerpack to the farthest track is in excess of ten feet, you might want to run bus wires of 18, 16 or even 12 GA, and run smaller feeders to the track. That reduces the resistance in the longer wiring. You might try to pick up a book on wiring your model railroad.
Feel free to ask questions on the Forum. You will get a lot of help!
Thank you so much for this information! When I first started setting everything up, I really wasn't sure if I'd know what to do. Trial, error, and Google helped me get things working but I'd like to make it easier haha.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

Great layout! Reminds me of the train layouts they used to have at the Yankee Candle Flagship Store in Deerfield, MA.

I will admit I am useless when it comes to wiring and electrical work so I can’t help you there but if something does come up that I can actually help with, I’ll try to help haha.
I built four 4x4 tables and once they were all set up, it was way too big and I wouldn't be able to reach everything. Decided to take one out and have the L shape. Much easier to reach everything and get to the controls!

Thank you so much for this information! When I first started setting everything up, I really wasn't sure if I'd know what to do. Trial, error, and Google helped me get things working but I'd like to make it easier haha.
Easiest way then is not to do it, get someone else. 🤣
And YouTube is always a great "how to" do something your not sure about.

Terminal strips are best bought from ebay/china. Buy spares as the screw threads never seem to match anything after you lose a screw!
Would you be able to link a few good terminal strips? I want to make sure I get something good and will work correctly!

I’m not sure if this terminal block will work for you but I ordered one from this website:

This may be a dumb question but when using that strip do I just connect 2 wires from the power pack accessory screws to the strip? Could I just use an old power cord I have, attach the wires to the strip? Once both wires are connected from power source to the strip do I then run the 2 wires connected the other terminals on the strip to the lighting/accessories on the layout?

Thanks again!

Terminal strips are, as the name implies, for terminating one run before starting another. I think you might be needing a distribution block which terminates one run and begins a series of runs. (Hydro talk)
You can get jumpers to bridge terminals to distribute power.
Now “If“ you intend to distribute power from one source to multiple users this might be what you need, I use something similar…

E9710613-3E20-41B2-8CDA-4F2AF24289EC.jpeg

Would you be able to link a few good terminal strips? I want to make sure I get something good and will work correctly!

I bought two of these assortments. I like that they come with pre-fab jumper strips. Those are nice. If you have one lead coming in, say from a command station, and want to have multiple leads going out, say to 2 or 3 bus wires going down the main track areas, then you can use those pre-fab jumper to connect the one lead in to the multiple leads out. Otherwise, you have to make your own jumpers with spare wire or what-not. Not too difficult, but an extra step.

I bought two of these assortments. I like that they come with pre-fab jumper strips. Those are nice. If you have one lead coming in, say from a command station, and want to have multiple leads going out, say to 2 or 3 bus wires going down the main track areas, then you can use those pre-fab jumper to connect the one lead in to the multiple leads out. Otherwise, you have to make your own jumpers with spare wire or what-not. Not too difficult, but an extra step.

Terminal strips are, as the name implies, for terminating one run before starting another. I think you might be needing a distribution block which terminates one run and begins a series of runs. (Hydro talk)
You can get jumpers to bridge terminals to distribute power.
Now “If“ you intend to distribute power from one source to multiple users this might be what you need, I use something similar…

View attachment 139367
I believe this is what I'm needing. I just want to send power to the item you pictured and then having that power multiple accessories and lights. So do I just supply the power to where the banana plugs go and then add wires to the terminals that lead to the accessories? Where the banana plugs are in your picture, what is the best power source to use to power that strip? Do I need a specialized power pack, can I use the accessory terminals off the power pack that runs a train, can I use just an old power cord I spliced the wires at the end? What's best to use in this situation. I appreciate the help!

Last edited:

That is a nice assortment! Thank you for the link!

Back