Tea for groundcover

eTraxx

I've experimented a bit using tea for groundcover. I picked up a box of cheap store-brand tea and it looks great as far as texture goes in HO. The only problem (if that's the correct term) is that it is quite dark. While I am aware that there are green teas, and white teas .. the cost of using those I imagine would be cost prohibitive. I'm going to dry bleaching the cheap stuff if I can find a source for Calcium Hypochlorite (Pool Shock) .. that's also a bleaching agent. In the meantime .. experimented with mixing the tea with white tempera paint and some yellow Rit. It actually came out looking great.

th_w_white-tempera_yellow-rit.jpg

My concern (not based on experience) would be that using something like tea leaves would basically rot away after a few years.

In general, using any sort of food type product tends to be pretty far up the scale of "not a good idea".

Unless they are totally covered and sealed, they will rot and likely attract bugs. In any case, they will lose their color much faster than normal flocking type materials.

I used tea leaves once, being a member of the "layout on a budget" group. It was on a club layout many years ago. All sealed and looked great once put down. :D

Came back a week later and they'd gone mouldy :eek:

The air was a little blue that night, but it was all taken as a learning experience.

Just a word of caution ;)

Angie

Use brewed tea leaves, while they're still damp add a few drops of Lysol, mix well and then dry. This will at least eliminate the mold problem.

Ray

Back