TCS WOW101-KA Steam Sound Decoder.

N

NP2626

I have just installed the above decoder in my MDC Roundhouse 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler. I am very impressed with this company and their sound decoders! The sound from this system is awsumb and this system comes with their KA Keep Alive Capacitor system that keeps the loco going over dead frogs, dead point rails and bad track. Also, the system allows you to access verbal instructions from the decoder itself on how to modify the sound system and motor operation.

I have two more TCS WOW101-KA decoders to install in other locomotives, so I guess TCS gets my vote for Steam sound. Who do you like and what particular sound decoder do you like?

HPIM8117.JPG

Caboose hop. Loco can use some weathering, yet. I want to get it running real good before I do that, however!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you like those decoders. I've chosen for those to be my preference when I get around to installing decoders,...have to get the layout built first !!

There is no question that the TCS WOW-101 KA have excellent sound. The first ones I installed gave me fits. Two burned out, including one that burned a hole in the side of a plastic tender body (repaired by a "welded" plate in the 1/87 backshop). These were replaced by TCS, and that locomotive runs well and the sound is great. This may simply have been an early quality control problem. I have since switched to Soundtraxx Tsunami TSC-2200's, which have been upgraded to give more sound choices. The current score is 4 each Soundtraxx and the one TCS WOW-101 KA. Not sure how many more I will convert, as funds are limited, and by the time you add in a speaker and the Keep-Alive capacitor, it gets a bit pricey for my exchequer. One neat thing about the Soundtraxx steam decoders is that you can either blow the whistle (on the NCE Power Cap controller) by pressing the "horn" button, or, for grade crossings, press F9 and it will automatically blow the --o- sound! Your mileage may differ of course!

Trailrider, "Two burned out, including one that burned a hole in the side of a plastic tender body (repaired by a "welded" plate in the 1/87 backshop)". The way you worded the above statement, it could be interpreted that the two Decoders that burnt out might have been TCS decoders! Can I ask you to clarify that these were; or, were not TCS Decoders? Thanks

I have just installed the above decoder in my MDC Roundhouse 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler. I am very impressed with this company and their sound decoders! The sound from this system is awsumb and this system comes with their KA Keep Alive Capacitor system that keeps the loco going over dead frogs, dead point rails and bad track. Also, the system allows you to access verbal instructions from the decoder itself on how to modify the sound system and motor operation.

I have two more TCS WOW101-KA decoders to install in other locomotives, so I guess TCS gets my vote for Steam sound. Who do you like and what particular sound decoder do you like?

View attachment 35441

Caboose hop. Loco can use some weathering, yet. I want to get it running real good before I do that, however!
I always weather last too. Not a criticism, but the frame looks almost unpainted. Why the contrast, or will you be weathering the boiler to match? Oh, and I'm doing mostly Tsunamis when I do sound. I've reached the point where I don't feel the need to put it in everything. I've also found when I don't install it I don't miss it!

Alan The frame is painted Grimy black and will eventually be better weathered.

Trailrider, "Two burned out, including one that burned a hole in the side of a plastic tender body (repaired by a "welded" plate in the 1/87 backshop)". The way you worded the above statement, it could be interpreted that the two Decoders that burnt out might have been TCS decoders! Can I ask you to clarify that these were; or, were not TCS Decoders? Thanks
Sorry not to get back to you sooner. Yes, these were TCS decoders. In all fairness, they did replace them, and I have it installed in the steam locomotive, and it is working just fine! Since then, however, I have converted four additional of my kitbashed Mantua steamers that have Canon coreless motors, but using Soundtrax Tsunami 2 TSU-2200 (P.N. 884007) and their Current Keeper (capacitor). I have three more that I would like to convert, but by the time I add in the costs of the decoder, Current Keeper and speaker and the time involved for each one, I will probably have to wait awhile before doing the next one. I should like to say that any manufacturer can have quality problems, especially when it comes to electronic components. I would have no problem using TCS products from here on, but I do like the capabilities of the Soundtraxx systems.

Alan The frame is painted Grimy black and will eventually be better weathered.
Ah. The lighting made it look a lot like the plain zinc casting. I have a Roundhouse 2-8-0 kit in my "to build" pile. I've already filed all of the cast on detail parts and have a boatload of brass details to upgrade it. They are great pullers!

Back