TCS Wow decoder non-responsive on digitrax systerm

john.myers

I have a locomotive with a user installed TCS Wow decoder. It runs fine at our club layout, which is large and has digitrax control system. At home, on my small digitrax system, the locomotive will not run. Powers up, but will not acquire from my DT400 throttle. I have a DCS200 command station and many other locomotives have no problems, digitrax, Tsunami, Econami, etc.
Any ideas?
Thanks
The locomotive is an atlas.

Did you have it in a consist at the club? The loco may still be in that consist. Try setting CV19 = 0

Thanks.....it wasn't lashed up in a consist. This was a new install at our club during a DCC installation workshop. Worked great at the club singularly on the large layout there. Home on small layout, seemed to lose it's little mind. Took it back to the club and re-programmed it with loco buffer there. Back home, still won't run. Powers up, sound and light, won't acquire on my throttles.

When I place this loco on my programming track and read the address, it never displays the address that was programmed at the club, using loco buffer and laptop.
I program with my throttle at home, not having a buffer setup.

Which programming function are you using to program the decoder with your Digitrax throttle?

Keep us posted.

Thanks.

Greg

Digitrax says......
Try resetting the DCS200. Place the MODE toggle switch on the DCS200 in the Center OP position and then press the SWCH key, press 39 and then the c key (which is also the Cloc key). You then go back to the command station and push the MODE toggle Down to Sleep and then Up to Run.

Some resets require you to remove the battery out of the DCS200. Remove the 4 screws holding the case cover on to access the battery. Remove the battery for 5 minutes and then reinsert the battery. You may want to consider replacing the battery since you already have the case open. It is a CR2032 button type battery. Only one battery is required. There is no need to add a second battery. The open battery holder is so you can swap batteries without losing your internal Routes.

I'm wondering why I need to reset DCS 200, if all the other locomotives (10 or so) are running just fine. That's the only TCS decoder equipped locomotive and the only one I'm having trouble with.

It's a good question, but those decoders already had their data stored prior to the glitch...whatever it turns out to be. It's disconcerting, but I have gotten used to rebooting my PC every three or four days just 'cuz. I find the odd performance weirdness happening if I go too long before a reboot. I don't recall having to do that to my 10-year-old DB150, to be honest, but I'm sure I'll have to resort to it once or twice in its lifetime.

"I'm wondering why I need to reset DCS 200, if all the other locomotives (10 or so) are running just fine. That's the only TCS decoder equipped locomotive and the only one I'm having trouble with."

The problem is with the TCS...in my opinion. Did you try resetting the locomotive's address?

Greg

Hey Greg. What you might want to do is contact TCS,and and talk to their tech guy,and see what he has to say. I have one of their WOW Sound Decoders in a Baldwin Diesel I have,and I was able to program mine using JMRI Decoder Pro,and a Soundtraxx Power Booster,the PB 100 ,I believe is what it is. But if all else has failed, try giving TCS a call or go to their website,and see what they say. Good luck sir,I hope you get it straightened out. William.

When I've had a problem with a manufacturer's product, the first thing I do is go to the manufacture and ask them for help. I'm interested in hearing what was done to fix this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your home DCC system may have that address in use by another address as part of a consist. Digitrax remembers consists in its memory. If you ever had that address in a consist, even if it isn't that engine, the system will remember it.
Also, paged mode is a reduced-power programming setting, that may not have enough power allotted to get the decoder to respond. Try Dir (direct) or OPS (on the track) method, and see if that helps to get your decoder to respond to programming.

Loco running now....without sound!!!

Hey,
So, after a month of not running the bugger, I placed the loco on the programming track last night and tried PH instead of PG programming. It took and now the motor/light/brake functions work, but the sound is muted:( F8 is not selected. These newer decoders are problematic on my layout. I have older, cheap Bachmann/Bowser engines that work consistently, without any problems. They have sound decoders from like 8 years ago and never hiccup, no matter what. I never did reset the entire system, as digitrax suggested, nor do I plan on doing that. Not when 9-10 other locomotives are still running just fine. I don't have a huge layout, just 12X16, two-tiered and a 100 ft mainline. I run maybe 12 locomotives, total. 50 + rail cars. Layout is divided up into 4 power districts with 2 reversing loops, and no anomalies with the wiring. DCS 200 with 1 400 DT throttle and 3 utility throttles. Radio control.

I do appreciate the replies y'all put up, I just don't try them all.

John
CIO Oregon River Railroad

I think this is the winning solution. I tried Ph mode and got it running last night. Sound went away, however. Always something:)

Back