Tanks on Towers

beiland

What are these towers for?....sand, fuel whatever?

They are brass units I picked up at a show long ago
image%2852%29.png

image%2853%29.png

Brian

I got 2 votes for sand towers on another forum.

I replied thusly,
"It would appear that the central point of delivery via those swing down spouts might make it a sand delivery structure for the sand domes on steam locomotives.
But the big size of those tanks make me wonder how sand could be pumped up that central pipe against such a large weight of sand in those BIG tanks?"

well, you can pump sand up in those. the center pipe would go almost up the top, and air would be the helper ... but looking from where it comes in, there -should- be water tanks, and where it comes out to the tender ... sand is a smaller diameter pipe, both in and out ..
by the way, water cans came in vertical styles, and quite a bit less commonly, horizontal styles ..

Attachments

• water.can.jpg
    water.can.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 190
If they are water tower/tanks where might they be used where relatively low volume of water would be needed?....on a logging line??

Is it possible that they were part of a silo complex and these were the loading hoppers?

Just a thought.

Greg

I don't know, but I've never ever seen a water tower shaped like that, delivering water in twin spouts like that, in any picture, real life or in any research.
Is there one out there?
Just wondering....

Back