Tams Elektronik FD-R Basic 3 Function decoder

wilwahabri

I have used Tams Elektronik Basic 2 decoders for some time in trailing cars for directional lighting, however Basic 2 seems to have been or is being replaced by Basic 3 (Baustein) which has an additional auxy output and an input compred to Basic 2.

As yet there are no JMRI definitions for this decoder, the latest being Basic 2.

There do appear to be some differences It appears that basic 2 used aux 1 and 3 for front and rear lighting and Basic 3 uses Aux 1 and 2.

Where can I get an updated definition file for JMRI? or indeed how do I go about constructing one?

to get an updated definition, well you just have to wait for them to do it ...
i don't think it will be real quick as its freeware

Sorry, I disagree. With open source, "them = us" and so the means for self help and making changes yourself is usually easier than with a commercial product. You just need to make changes to the basic 2 profile, as outlined here:
https://www.jmri.org/manual/JMRI_2-14_manual/Dcode_Format.shtml
If you're not comfortable editing an XML file, there are many people able to do it because XML is a global standard for data definition. You would need complete and accurate specs on the decoder, though.

If you need help with it, and the changes are minor, we might be able to do it in this thread...
Here is the file that needs to be edited...
FD-R_Basic2

Last edited:
Well, I have to admit that looks like you would need some familiarity with the system, to find the place to make the change. But, can you re-iterate the exact changes you need, if there are only one or two? Maybe a small difference like a function mapping could be found.

Question - what happens when you run the Basic 3 while using the Basic 2 profile? Any problems?

Back