Taking my Time & Exploring Layout Ideas while Playing w/ SCARM

Ned - One trick that I learned 40 years ago that applies to six axle diesels is to adjust the center axle of each truck to the minimum side of the wheel gauge, while adjusting the outer two axles to the maximum side. By doing so, it reduces any tendency for the center axle to cause the outer axles to lift and derail. This is sometimes an issue going through crossover switches, but not every locomotive brand.

Ned - One trick that I learned 40 years ago that applies to six axle diesels is to adjust the center axle of each truck to the minimum side of the wheel gauge, while adjusting the outer two axles to the maximum side. By doing so, it reduces any tendency for the center axle to cause the outer axles to lift and derail. This is sometimes an issue going through crossover switches, but not every locomotive brand.
Reading your post I am not quite sure what you mean. I use the NMRA gauge for wheels and I can not see the minimum side to the maximum side difference. Am I missing something ? This is HO. Thanks in advance.

Here is the thread that I was looking for.

KB02 seems to have constructed an excellent " bridge".
Thanks for digging out the bridge post. Frameless style cabinet hinges - who knew. Like they say - the next one..... Sadly I'm too long in the tooth to attempt to modify or make changes. Besides bridge derailments are a perfect excuse to exercise the work train......

Reading your post I am not quite sure what you mean. I use the NMRA gauge for wheels and I can not see the minimum side to the maximum side difference. Am I missing something ? This is HO. Thanks in advance.
The NMRA standard for HO scale is .603, +.002, -.007. Not a lot of leeway, but enough to make a difference if needed. The center of the gauge is set at .603, you can be a bit off-center either way. Some fudging may be used, but I never needed it on old layouts using Atlas Snap Switches.
NMRA Wheel Recommended Standard S-4.2

Hi guys, I'm still killing time until I'll be able to get my room ready. I did two things while exploring. One was to plug in some structures that might represent industry (shown in brown), commercial (in dark green), and residential (in blue). This included placing some roads to get an idea of any sense of space available between track and any structures. I'm also thinking the industry and commercial areas will need parking areas, but I haven't yet found a way to depict that in SCARM.

Trackplan Final Consideration with Closet_6 4.19.2021.jpg

The second thing I did was created a hypothetical option if the closet space didn't exist. The extra space leads to three more industries, which also pulls them out of the southwest corner for better reach. Maybe 12 is too many?

Trackplan Final Consideration Full Room_8 4.19.2021.jpg

Last edited:
The roads and objects depicted in these latest two plans might end up being reconfigured as I figure out what might enhance realism, I just wanted to further wrap my head around the idea of space available vs. space used by other things and not just track track track. This is why I've experimented with "ok, this is what I can fit, now let's look at other setups and ask for input on what should be scaled back." Thanks again to those chiming in!

Parking areas have always been tough for me, as they are never nearly big enough to truly represent a prototypical industry's needs. Then I have to buy enough cars to at least partially fill them.
Maybe 12 is too many?
Not to me. I have 70! Some are low relief backdrop structures and parking for them and many others are unseen behind the structures. Roads are easier, but grade crossings can be a real b***h!

Missed this post last week. My main lines are on cork roadbed, while the roads (most of them) are on the layout surface. Getting a proper grade up and over is where I have issues. The actual grade crossing is not a problem but I want the approach to look normal and not something that looks like a ramp with a 10% grade. Blending them into the adjoining scenery takes some additional time and effort and can be difficult at times. I don't want my townspeople doing a "Dukes of Hazzard" style jump over the track(s).

Hi everyone, so I did some more experimenting with my potential use of space. The first plan in this thread was my evolving two-track layout.
However, I made some adjustments to see how it might be with a single track, which is the second picture.
I figured a single track might be most beneficial for the bridge span at the room entry.

So, the two-track has 12 industries, and the single-track has 11 industries. Blue structures are residential, green are commercial, and brown are industrial. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Double Track Full Room 1 on 5.3.21.jpg

Single Track Full Room 1 on 5.3.21.jpg

I’m a big fan of layouts that have double track with a stretch of single.
It makes operations more fun (and prototypical in some cases).
I also agree with you on the bridge span thing!

Ned, and MOWboss About the lift bridges, in the thread "Northeast Switching Layout" the OP (and please excuse my lack of acknowledgement by name) showed a photo of hinges on scrap wood that he was testing to use on sectional/module legs. The photo got me thinking this may solve the lift or drop bridge gap problem.

About the overall design I saw was the number of "S" turns, although visually appealing trains it may cause tracking problems.

Have fun with whatever you do. My layout space I just acquired is almost the same footprint as yours so watching your progress will be helpful.

Apologies - I just saw this topic. The hinges that I used are from Amazon. Here is the link to the item. The hinge worked well but I decided to use fixed legs bolted on with carriage bolts.

It has been really interesting to look at the progression of designs that you are coming up with. One thing that is not clear to me is the operations philosophy that you prefer. Do you want continuous running or switching or perhaps a combination of the two?

Hi @kleiner , thanks for sharing the hinge information, and thanks for checking out this thread. I've been following your thread quite closely, and as you might recognize, some aspects of my potential industry areas were inspired by the track plans you have been exploring along with pictures and posts that @Rico and others gave in your thread!

So in watching lots of model train operations videos as well as real-life rail fanning footage, the short answer to your question is a combination of the two. Let me try to elaborate...

I envision myself on any given day using the yard to assemble trains that need to go out to industries. I've watched some interesting videos on people doing these type of operations, and definitely found the challenge intriguing. I would like to use the yard in a operational sense over a storage use.
Once the train is assembled, it would be cool to use the continuous loop aspect to essentially let the train "rack up some miles". Since I really enjoy the realism and beauty of the models themselves (and the sounds!), I can see myself chilling out while watching the train go around for several laps as my imagination runs with it, and as the layout grows in detail over time, the enjoyment would grow with it. After several laps, depending on how much time of the day I can devote to that particular session, I would transition into a "delivery mode", where I would serve industries as the train arrives. I really enjoy watching the switching operations taking place in some of the videos I've explored so far.
Now, perhaps the session would end there and the next time I have time to run a session, it might start with switching pulling out empties / deliveries to head back into the yard accordingly. Or, maybe all this might take place in one day. I hope this makes sense as I'm still learning how to describe things.

Since any actual moving forward with this project won't happen for at least a couple months, I'm still exploring and learning the various ways that operations can be simulated, along with what I find appealing, and how these things might be modeled in the space I have. I wouldn't be surprised if the plan gets further altered due to input from others and further exploration. The folks here have been a great resource, and for that I am thankful.

I envision myself on any given day using the yard to assemble trains that need to go out to industries. I've watched some interesting videos on people doing these type of operations, and definitely found the challenge intriguing. I would like to use the yard in a operational sense over a storage use.
Once the train is assembled, it would be cool to use the continuous loop aspect to essentially let the train "rack up some miles". Since I really enjoy the realism and beauty of the models themselves (and the sounds!), I can see myself chilling out while watching the train go around for several laps as my imagination runs with it, and as the layout grows in detail over time, the enjoyment would grow with it. After several laps, depending on how much time of the day I can devote to that particular session, I would transition into a "delivery mode", where I would serve industries as the train arrives. I really enjoy watching the switching operations taking place in some of the videos I've explored so far.
Now, perhaps the session would end there and the next time I have time to run a session, it might start with switching pulling out empties / deliveries to head back into the yard accordingly. Or, maybe all this might take place in one day. I hope this makes sense as I'm still learning how to describe things.

Since any actual moving forward with this project won't happen for at least a couple months, I'm still exploring and learning the various ways that operations can be simulated, along with what I find appealing, and how these things might be modeled in the space I have. I wouldn't be surprised if the plan gets further altered due to input from others and further exploration. The folks here have been a great resource, and for that I am thankful.

This sounds like an excellent approach to operations! One question: are ou planning to use sectional track or flex? And if sectional track, which brand?

The final plan you posted looks very promising - I have a few suggestions:
1. Do you really need the loop of track on the north end? One of the tracks through the yard will be the main line.
2. You probably don't need the crossovers that I have circled

temp1.jpg

How will you identify box cars as "empty or full?" I'm sure you plan for removable loads
for gon, flat and hoppers.

I may have missed something, but how high will the layout be above floor level (AFL)? Will the curve on the Southeast corner (near the door) be a removal section or a duckunder? Depending on the age of visitors, a duckunder can be a real pain. If that will be a removable bridge, you should have some type of electrical interlock on both ends far enough from the ends to prevent any locomotives or rolling stock from running off if the bridge has been lifted out. I ran into the same situation, except the door was in the middle of the South wall, and the ends were at two different levels precluding a connection. As a result, I wound up with return (NOT reversing) loops and a folded dogbone layout around a 14' x 14' room.

Back