Switching Systems

WC3026

So I have been looking at switching systems. Right now I am using the MRC prodigy advanced 2 system and I really like it but I am wanting something I can get more i depth with like JMRI and what not. I am looking at a NCE system at my LHS it is used but there is alot there (cant remember what all was in there).

Now I have cabling ran for my MRC system. MRC uses either net cable does the other systems use the same style or would I have to rerun everything?

I am not sure but I think it was a wireless system. How good are the wireless systems? I am not going long distances but do they respond quickly?

The remotes work well. Response time is excellent. The Prd2 is a good system, but unlike the other systems, they have chosen not to allow the unit to interface with JMRI. There is no way to connect it to a computer. The NCE and Digitrax allows their systems to interface with a computer, so all aspects of JMRI can be used directly with a system.

I am a Digitrax user, so I am not familiar with NCE's connections, but Digitrax uses a 6 wire system, instead of an Ethernet cable.

Unless you really need to interface with a computer, why not stay with the MRC unit. I mean, if the current MRC system does what you want it to, and you're familar with it, why go thru the expense and hassle of redoing the cabling and even more expense of an interface?

I've of the school of thought that if, the system works, don't fix it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rob -

Greetings from a fellow radio amateur!

Find out exactly which NCE system or components are in the used system, and I'm sure someone here can help you determine if it is a good deal. NCE wireless systems have a good reputation, but you may need the latest updates from NCE to bring it up to date. NCE has great customer service.

NCE uses 4- and 6-conductor Telco-type cabling with RJ-style connectors.

- Jeff NK1F

Now I have cabling ran for my MRC system. MRC uses either net cable does the other systems use the same style or would I have to rerun everything?
Hmmm, I was going to say that NCE can use cat-5 cable, you just have to make certain you purchase the correct cab bus panels. I have them on my modular layout. However, just I went to their web site to get the part number for you and I cannot find them in the catalog anymore. !???

I am not sure but I think it was a wireless system. How good are the wireless systems? I am not going long distances but do they respond quickly?
NCE has an excellent wireless product. The museum switched to NCE specifically for the wireless. It is huge and includes long distances. There is absolutely no delay with them and I would never know the difference between a wired and wireless.

Ok so I went and looked at it again today and it has two boxes from NCE. After looking at pictures on NCE's site it is the PH10R but I dont remember if it had the computer port on the face of it (I am working on getting a picture up.

I know I can Brett but there are limitations to it. I am just getting tiered of the PA2 and want something I dont always have to have a cord hanging off of. when running I have to go under a lift out and another section of bench work to get to the other part of the layout. I am getting sick of having to unplug the throttle to go ever if I hear something not right and what not. Plus I am just wanting something bigger and better I have have the PA2 since they dang near came out.

Back