Switching in N

LoudMusic

I'm still rolling ideas around in my head, trying to figure out what will work in my various available spaces. I want to be able to run continuous trains, so 24" deep leaves out HO/On30. But I also want to be able to do some good switching.

How is the switching experience in N scale? I've spent a considerable amount of time running HO freight yards with Kadees and magnets. With good hardware it can be a good time. Does N scale equipment act right in a yard or is the operator experience diminished by smaller scale stuff?

Thanks!

Help?

I'm still new but I'd say research the switches you use. I have atlas and haven't been happy with them (code 80) as they derail too often. Peco is supposed to be much better. That aside n scale seems to be able to do anything ho can. It is much harder to see the small stuff though. If anyone on the thread has atlas switch ideas please post them too.

I have been doing switching and Ops in N scale for over 35 years. The code 80 switches (Atlas and Peco) aren't nearly as good as the Atlas code 55's. I switched to the Atlas code 55's and will never go back!

The magnetic operating of the MT's couplers is not nearly as good as in HO. Manual uncoupling can be done using a bamboo skewer. You can buy a bag of 100 for $1.

Glenn

Switches

How hard is it to work them (cade 55 switches) into a code 80 track? I know all my stuff would fit (wheels that is.)

I have been doing switching and Ops in N scale for over 35 years. The code 80 switches (Atlas and Peco) aren't nearly as good as the Atlas code 55's. I switched to the Atlas code 55's and will never go back!

The magnetic operating of the MT's couplers is not nearly as good as in HO. Manual uncoupling can be done using a bamboo skewer. You can buy a bag of 100 for $1.

Glenn

This is really what I was worried about. Thanks for the information. I've been frustrated with some HO magnetic uncoupling but I think it was mostly due to poor installation. I wonder how much care it would take to get N scale equipment to operate 'reliably' on magnets.

How hard is it to work them (cade 55 switches) into a code 80 track? I know all my stuff would fit (wheels that is.)
You can either just loosen the Code 55 joiners on one side and slip them over the 80's then solder them in place... or buy more expensive transition joiners.

You can put the code 80 rail joiners on the code 80 track. Then mash the remaining code 80 rail joiner flat and solder the code 55 track to the rail joiner.

Glenn

Reliable uncoupling is what has prevented me from laying rail. I'm a somewhat newbie but I have experimented with magnetic uncoupling.

You can read other threads in this forum and other forums of people claiming success with various methods but I have not been able to repeat their success. I have witnessed what I would call reliable uncoupling using Kato Unitrak between the rail magnetic uncouplers.

Unless I find something more reliable, I'm planning on going with Micro Trains between the rail magnetic uncouplers. I think they are designed for code 80 rail and I'm using code 55. Do I grind down the ties or cut all the way through and shim?

I plan on giving the "Totally Hidden Uncoupler" by S & L Enterprises a try. Some folks have adapted the Kadee HOn3 electro-magnetic uncouplers to N, I have no idea if they are reliable.

I think it is possible to have reliable magnetic uncoupling in N if you are willing to put effort.

I hope others with more experience and knowledge can help guide us along.

I managed to make a fairly reliable uncoupler from two ceramic magnets (one broken in half; I recommend buying two, they don't break cleanly). I didn't tack it down but it worked decently on the bench so long as it was flush with the bottoms of the ties (cut the cork out around it).

The biggest issue will probably be getting the couplers adjusted right.

My HO layout was a breeze at switching mostly, N scale reqquires excellent Eye sight and patience. For the most part in N scale the rolling stock will require some adjustment. Out of the box some work well while other couplers are not effected by the magnet at all. My layout is all KATO track and switches which I highly recommend.

I have seen a scratch built magnetic coil on you tube. Steel wheel cars of course have an advers effect

so true, so true !!! The quote: " magnetic operating of the MT's couplers is not nearly as good as in HO" could not be more correct !! I have Kato track, Kato loco's, all new MTL freight cars, and uncoupling is STILL "iffy" at best. It (almost) makes me wanna go back to HO scale !!

I probed my son. He said he wants HO, not N. He has no idea what I have planned so I have to probe him on occasion when he can't figure out why I am asking. Argghhhh!

HO is going to be tougher to fit in the same space.

Back