Switching from Atlas Switch Controls to Arduino powered Relays

Son of a CNW

All,

I recently completed laying out my 5 separate lines of track which are all joined via over 10 Atlas switches. Rather than having all the Switch Controls daisy chained and having to manage the track, I wanted to plunge into the Arduino space. After a week, very comfortable with the coding (former programmer). I have the relay connected and demonstrating the coding is working by the lights associated with the relay (16 relay module). What I cannot figure out is how to connect the 2 power chords and 3 Atlas switch chords to the Relay. Looked for instructions but nobody appears to be using the 16 relay module and posting about it. Thanks.

Son of a CNW

What I cannot figure out is how to connect the 2 power chords and 3 Atlas switch chords to the Relay.
Um, so you are changing out the Atlas flat push button switch controllers for the relay-16. Did you also change out the Atlas Switch motors or are they still standard twin solenoids with shared common wire? Did you program the relays for momentary contact?

If I am understanding the question properly, and you have taken into account the momentary contact issue, and you have made certain your 16-relay can handle the current. Then I THINK this is the answer. The "2 power cords" are red and green. The first one (red) goes to the common of each of the relays. The second one (green) goes to the center of every Atlas turnout motor just as if you were using the Atlas selectors switches. This is the center wire of the Atlas "switch cord".

The other two wires (the two outside ones) of the Atlas switch cord go to normally open contacts (blue and yellow on the diagram below) of the relays that are going to control it.

this is an important diagram change from the one I posted yesterday.
relay-16-2.jpg

Last edited:
I will try that this evening. I was attempting to use the existing Atlas switch motors with the 16 relay. Was able to trigger it bith directions, but the relay never shut off though I had the code on high, delay(200) and immediately set the relay to low. Ended up melting the first motor. Trying to avoid repeating that issue. Aka Learn from my mistakes.

I will try that this evening. I was attempting to use the existing Atlas switch motors with the 16 relay. Was able to trigger it bith directions, but the relay never shut off though I had the code on high, delay(200) and immediately set the relay to low. Ended up melting the first motor. Trying to avoid repeating that issue.
Doesn't take much to melt one down. Should take about the same amount of time to throw the turnout as it does to snap the relay.

I use high and low to trip the relay, but lights never go off on relay per the videos. Trying to figure that out first, but thanks.

For others, sharing my learnings. HIGH is off, LOW is on. Totally backwards from my thinking and with no instructions with the relay, relying on the internet.

Back