Switch wiring

Steventt6

I have an automatic switch on my layout that is not wired. What wiring do i need to go from the switch to the Switch control box. I currently only have 20 Gauge, And no the switch didnt come with wires this is a 15 year old set.

It's a good idea to state what scale switch and a brand name, since switches vary a lot. In general, a switch needs to have a reasonably beefy wire since you are running a lot of amps through it for a short period of time. I use 14 gauge on mine although you could probably get away with 16 gauge.

Well, as in my other post The sets Bachmann and its at least 15 years old...So its some kind of old bachmann left hand switch, And would also know where to get some 14 Gauge wire on the internet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a photo of the switch?

You can probably find the wire at Micro Mark, but you may be better off looking locally unless you need to order other items. Check your local Lowes Hardware or Home Depot.

I assume you are using the term switch, as in a turnout? If so, you do not need a large wire for this. The coils do not draw very much current and the short (momentary) time it takes to move the "switch" will not need large wire. 20AWG will do just fine. Radio Shack has plenty of wire sizes to choose from. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back