Switch Tracks

shorty

HELP i need to find cheap Switch Tracks Can you help and how do i put two switch tracks on my model train set how do i control the part that i made go off with a different controller

shorty said:
HELP i need to find cheap Switch Tracks Can you help and how do i put two switch tracks on my model train set how do i control the part that i made go off with a different controller

Hey Nick. Welcome to the forum.

Your best bet will probably be Atlas brand turnouts (switches). They're relatively cheap and work well. You can get them at a local hobby shop, online or mail order from a Model Railroader magazine ad.

I'm not sure what you're after as far as train control. Do you want one train idle on a siding track while another operates on the oval?

shorty said:
yes i mean i want a train to idle on the side when another is running on the main tracks

You will need to get sometype of switch, a toggle (from Radio Shack) or one of the Atlas controllers. They have wiring directions on back.

You are going to make blocks for power to the trtacks.

Hi shorty, and welcome to ModelRailroadForums. If I understand correctly what you wish to do below is (well a not too good) diagram of a loop of track with two turnout switches to form a passing siding. The little yellow blocks represent insulating rail joiners. In this case all you need is one throttle to control both trains. The electrical switch controls which siding track will have power from the throttle.
Hope this helps if not ask more questions :D

13.gif
Willis

Block-3.png

Thanks Willis, that was goiung to have to be the next step I was afraid. Are you doing a common rail example for Nick/Shorty?

Back