Switch motors

Anyone care to express their opinion about switch motors? Atlas under-the-table or old fashioned snap switches (Has anyone installed 'under-the-table' switch machines on a foam board layout?) , hand operated, ground throw switches (when close to operation station), brake cable, hand operated, or even changing track material choice and use something like Atlas True-Track etc.

The layout has been preliminarily designed and I am now starting to research framing and track materials. (HO scale, roughly 6'X8' plan, leaning towards Code 83 track, 22 inch minimum radius) Because of space limitations, a light frame that will permit easy storage would be an asset. I have been leaning towards using foam board on a wood frame.

BOB, for the price of snap machines, you can buy Tortoise machines for a little more ($13.89ea) and have a much better operation. I use Tortoise only on my mainlines and groundthrows in all my yards and industrial sidings.

You are on the right 'track' :D by using Code 83. Most of us use Atlas code 83 Flex track and cut it to length as needed. It is very easy to work with and looks very good. The minimum 22" radius is a good choice and will handle most anything you can buy. It should work out well for the layout size you are planning.

I will have to bow out on the foam layout part, as I use an open grid with plywood. However, it will be much lighter than what I use.

Shop around for Atlas Flex because the retail value is outrageous at well over $4. The best price I found is at 1st Place Hobbies for $2.89/stick.

If you're going to try flex track, I suggest you try out Micro Engineering, code 83. Their rail is more stiff, so you can position it and leave it without having to pin it.

Shop around for Atlas Flex because the retail value is outrageous at well over $4. The best price I found is at 1st Place Hobbies for $2.89/stick.

List price is up to $4.65 a piece :eek: Some of the higher price is due to it being a pain to ship if it's not in a large bundle. Most places require a minimum quantity of flex or sell it in bundles of 15-25 pieces (though I don't think 1st Place does) since shipping five pieces of flex is sort of awkward and often ends up exceeding the cost of the track itself.

The best I can do on pricing is $3.25 a piece, sold in quantities of 10 (that's how I have to order it).

Back