Swing bridge and piers build

Rico

BN Modeller
Well instead of flooding the WPF every week I figured I'd start a seperate thread for my swing bridge build.
I'm using the Walthers 933-3088 HO scale Double Track Swing Bridge as the starting point. I found it collecting dust on a back shelf at a LHS, but unfortunately it is missing the gears and shims needed to operate it. That will be a scratchbuilt project for later!
I painted the operators shack to look well used and added a few pigeons.
Weathering will follow later along with some junk, depth markers and bouys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to add a double track truss bridge to one end, this would place the center section into the "deep water" away from the shores.
I couldn't find a suitable pier to use here so I copied one of the swing bridge end piers and doubled it with some scrap styrene.
Like the stock piers I made the top removable so it can be screwed down and removed if needed.
After putting it together I slathered some modelers putty over it making sure to spread it with horizontal passes.
After the putty had dried I sanded and painted the pier a concrete color.
The uneven surface of the putty gives a pretty good conrete look that will be enhanced with weathering later.

Before I paint and weather the bridge I need to add the bridge track with gaurd rails. I got lucky and found one for $12 and two others for $20 each at the same shop I got the bridge from. It will taker at least six secions to do both bridges! Anyone have some they want to part with? :)
I'm working on a drive system right now, and hopefully sound to go with it...

Well done Rico

Ingenious and convincing. I really like what you did.

Your bridge is looking more and more like a major
RR structure further remove from a smaller, second
importance line

The pier effect (and the pier itself) is very realistic

Good choice of [concrete] color.

Go Jets Go :)

Syl

Good tutorial as well

Sound with the swing bridge? That's interesting. Where will you
take the recording from and what does it include?

Thanx Syl, still has a way to go plus I need to fit it into the next layout at the right angle. As for the sound... I'm thinking clanking gears and metal squealing.

Hi Ricco

Good modeling comes in when you take your time. Obviously you are not doing a rush job and it shows. :)

Funny because on my [future] bridge I am thinking of slightly altering the angle as well, not parallel to the
edge of the layout, but off at an angle. It will be better visually and will break some of the longer
stretch of tracks as well.

Good idea for the sound. I am under the impression when the bridge is under motion there
is a bell or warning horn of some kind ? Maybe not ?

Swing bridge sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S882ALjCyA

For guardrails, can’t you use some evergreen or other type of square styrene?

Keep us updated with your work.

Syl

You are doing a great job with the kit so far and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanx Stephen! Might be awhile but it'll get there...
Syl thanx for the link, I spent a couple hours collecting sounds and vid's!
As for the angle of the bridge, another reason for that is it will take less layout space when opening than it would if it were parallel.
Can't wait to get that thing painted!

No it has been discontinued but they still show up on ebay from time to time.
Too bad because I could use some parts!

Just a quick update on the project, I actually had time today to start on the benchwork for the bridge module.
I'm using 3/4 ply cut into 3" strips for framing and the top is 3/8 ply that will be layered cookie cutter style.
It is 8' in length, 2' wide at the left end and 3' at the right.
The addition of the double track bridge allows ships to navigate more to the center of the river and the angle allows the bridge more room to swing than if it were placed parallel to the edge.
The river will end up being three to four feet wide.......... yikes!
There are six swing bridges just South of here and I spent a day photographing them to get insperation.
I also picked up an HO scale Lindberg tugboat kit and plan to have it listing in the water and rusting away ala Dave In The Hat's fine work.

I managed to "test fit" the track with some leftover code 100 from the old layout. It will eventually be replaced with code 83 when I manage to snag a right hand code 83 curved turnout at a decent price without having to mortgage the house. :rolleyes:
The inside curves are in the neighbourhood of 36", the outside works out to around 38".
The crossover might look a little close to the bridge approach but it helps lengthen the straight section for the Schnabel and other long cars to negotiate the inside curves as it enters the bridge.
(It also fits into the plans for the next module to come.)
I cleaned out one of the LHS's stock of bridge track, they were still marked at under $20 per length! I use N scale roadbed now as it has a lower profile, is cheaper to purchase, and it allows the ties to stick over the edge here and there depending on how it's ballasted.
I ran out of styrofoam already so I'll be combing the nearby construction sites for leftover bits and pieces....

Look's great Rico. One of our club members has the Bascule Bridge from Walthers installed on his layout, and has that thing working real nice!

Thanks guys!
Carey that bascule bridge is a sweet kit, seen them go for about $500 on ebay!:eek:
Stephen there's no more layout right now until the walls are reinsulated but this section I'm doing is 8' long, 3' wide on the East end and 2' wide on the West.

Looking good. I realy like the way the tracks gently curve around. Great idea to installed the bridge and tracks at an angle. Looks very realistic.

any more updates?

Well done Ricco

Yes actually I do have an update.
Got some foam glued down and managed to get the rough shaping done.
The lumber store wanted $25 for a 2X8 sheet of 1" and only $7 for a 2X8 sheet of .5". You can guess how that transaction played out! :rolleyes:
I used up some old drywall mud on one section, it gives a good idea of how it will end up looking. The hole on the right side is where the ship will be sitting. The size of the river is starting to show!

I got a good start on the Linberg tugboat yesterday.
I sanded off the big "S" on the stack and added a few train bits from the parts bin, including the wheels on the winch, hatches from a tank car, and a horn. I also modeled one of the doors open and left off what would have been stripped over the years. There's a ship sitting in a lagoon not far from here, I used that as an example.
Here she is in her primer coat, already looking like a bit of a wreck.
I have some goodies on their way here to add to the scene including a speeder shack, mobile home, derilect bulldozer and assorted junk.

Back