Swamp grasses

NYC_George

My plan to put a huge swamp under the 5 arch viaduct I just completed died with the New Year approaching. The swamp, cattails and all just didn’t look right under the viaduct so I tore everything up before I wasted and more time on the project. I wanted to create that NJ Central look along I-95 but it just didn’t work. I did salvage some of the swamp though. I’ll use it some where else. The photo below is a sample of how the swamp grasses looked.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what that 1:1 swamp looks like but those swamp grasses and cattails look pretty good to me. I have a swamp that needs to be filed in so I'll take them off your hands if you just hate them. :)

Shame you did not get a few pics before you tore it up I would like to have seen it.
Being I used to live in NJ (Camden) then moved to (lindenwold) now down here in AZ.

You are probably going to put MANY more cattail heads in your display, right? When they grow, they usually grow really thick- and that's the trick- how to get that effect without making hundreds or thousands of individual heads.

Creating cattails

I made the cattails by stripping down some old decoder harness wire leaving one little piece on for the cattail head. I then painted the everthing a light sand color and when that dried I painted the head dark brown. It’s not that hard to do.

NYC_George

looks great. Something i think i might try is getting bare copper wire, and painting on liquid electrical tape for the tops.not sure how it would work but probably a little easier then stripping all those wires.

Back