SVNO! in Western New York!

Roadwolf

My layout plans have changed a few times over the last 10 years or so. I know I posted on here ages ago about the construction of the Ontario Northland N Scale layout I was planning. Sadly, with politics and such involved, I decided to switch my theme to a fully freelance theme, which is based on a railroad operation which is similar to Ontario Northland.
svno2am.png

So now we have the Scajaquada Valley Northern... or SVNO.​

The layout room is the same room as before. a 33ft, by 19ft loft in an old carriage house. It is fully insulated, and has climate control. The one thing I had neglected to do in the rush to build the previous layout, was to actually finish the room. Currently, the room is in the midst of being drywalled. I will be installing a drop ceiling after that is done, and some kind of flooring, before I proceed with further bench work. Personally, I would love to have a plush carpet, but there is the consideration of carpet maybe not being the best, because small parts could get lost in it. I would love to hear opinions about this, either way.

layout2-20.png

IMAG2285.jpg

The hardest part of the finishing aspect, was to deal with the vaulted ceilings. Plus, being an old carriage house, nothing is really straight in the room. Aside from my new walls, and the drop ceiling will be level (and the layout too).

Plan is to get track laid this year. And am always willing to include other local model railroaders in the building and operation.

Welcome! Looks as if you are making dust? Sheetrock dust that is!
What a wonderful plan you have thought up!
Looking forward to the build.

Also Welcome back!

Big layout for N scale. Looks like fun (after the building is finished).

I am looking for opinions on how to set up my main terminal yard. There are a few ways I can do this. I was originally going to design it as pictured in Option 3, with a crew lounge big enough for a couch, and a couple chairs in the open part of the layout between the Port of Scajaquada and Barrington. But in the layout diagram above, you will see that there is another room which could possibly be used as a crew lounge. The unfortunate part, is that there will likely be a forced air furnace installed there, which intrudes on the space and possibly limits the ability to place a couch in there. That isn't horrible, because is a couch really required?

Anyhow, there are a few options below. The drawings are very well done... so don't be too amazed. :) But it should give you a general idea. Obviously they aren't to perfect scale.... And the track configurations may change somewhat... But this is just for an idea of how to lay out the yard and town, and opinions on the best idea. Or even looking for other solutions! :)

Thanks for any input :)

SVNO-Option1.png

SVNO-Option2.png

SVNO-Option3.png

Back