Survey regarding Online Model Railroad Shopping

Davidellias

Hello,
I have had the thought recently of starting an online Model Railroad store as a business. I'd like to get your input on the feasibility of doing a store.

1. How often do you shop online compared to a physical storefront?

2. What are your biggest concerns when shopping online, for model railroad supplies?

3. What is your biggest draw to online model railroad shopping?

4. If you do shop online, what would you like to see more of? (types of supplies, pricing, etc.)

I shop online mainly to see what's avaialbe that the LHS might not have on hand. I rarely buy that way, although I frequently 'browse' online. I try to buy from the LHS whenever possible. (see other discussions on this subject)

The biggest concern of shopping online is questions about the reliability of the vendor, and whether they actually have the item(s) in stock. Many won't confirm one way or the other, and the only way you find out they don't have the item is after waiting a long time and not receiving it.

The biggest draw to shopping on line is selection. Price would be the second most important factor. If I didn't have a good LHS that discounts, the order might be reversed.

The one thing I'm most likely to buy online is tools and specialty items not usually found in hobby shops. Micro-Mark is one online resource I'm particularly fond of.

Well you will hear this over and over when comparing online to brick and mortar.
That you should do what ever you can to support your LHS.
Well for most people the LHS is lacking in the L part.

The nearest shop to my house is 40 miles one way.
An 80 mile round trip with gas as high as it is, is just out of the question.

With online even with shipping I can almost always save money versus making a trip to the LHS.

There are a few well known online stores that have reasonable prices and can be trusted to deliver the goods.
I don't like going on sites that are complicated to navigate and doesn't have pics of any thing they sell.
Sometimes I know what I'm looking for but not totally sure what I'm looking for and need a pic to verify an item.

I don't like when online stores charge too much for shipping and they don't combine.

Never bought model railroading stuff from an online hobbyshop, as I have never needed/had funds to do so. I am planning to buy some things online in the future, though. E-bay doesn't count, I imagine. I have bought lots of other stuff - books, tools, etc. online.

2. What are your biggest concerns when shopping online, for model railroad supplies?
Shipping costs. The cost of shipping is a problem when ordering small amounts of anything, and I do not have funds for large orders.

Finding what I need! I am primarily interested in the 1850s and 1860s (yes, nineteenth century!), there is very little carried in hobbyshops locally or online that I can use.

4. If you do shop online, what would you like to see more of? (types of supplies, pricing, etc.)
I can think of a lot stuff I would like to see manufactured at reasonable prices, but as for suggestions for a distributer, I don't have any suggestions right now.
Edited to add: N-gauged's point about pictures is a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spend more time shopping with my LHS than online, but will shop/order online if I cannot find it at my LHS. I'd say 15-20% of my purchases have been online. I am not including eBay in this.

Listing items as available without actually having stock on hand. Search here, numerous threads about online stores taking forever to deliver a product, and sometimes not, because they show quantity for something they don't actualy have.

I'm busy, if I cannot make the time to get to my LHS I can spend just a couple of minutes online and have it delivered to the house. The other draw is the ability to find items that my LHS may not be able to stock, like older craftsman kits.

Most online shops' search functions are horrible. Caboose Hobbies, my nearest LHS, has an amazing search feature. I can filter on just about everything to find what I'm looking for, without having to sift through pages of stuff that hold no interest for me. I actually shop a lot online through Caboose Hobbies web front, as they offer the option of doing all the shopping/paying through their website, then I can pick it up at the store.

I buy almost all of my locos and rolling stock on eBay, because I can't pass up the bargain basement prices that I can find there. I rarely buy from non-eBay online stores, with the exception of Charles Ro, where I got a couple of incredible deals on G locomotives. However I do occasionally buy locos/rolling stock from the LHS if something catches my eye. I count on the LHS mostly for tools and supplies like couplers, wheelsets, decals, scratchbuilding supplies, paint, detail parts, etc. You know, the little brown paper bag that costs $40+. :)

This subject thread needs to be reborn as the times have changed. Many of our hobby shops are disappearing, and ebay shopping has lessened in many cases as folks are not as enamored with it as we were early on.

So many of us have become 'online shoppers'. With that we come across some questionable sites that need airing out so we can avoid scams, fakes, etc. There was a recent subject thread over here that discussed some of these,
https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/vendor-reliability-12219011?pid=1331396763

Model Train Closeouts
2269 Easton Turnpike
South Canaan, PA 18459

Hobby Rails
Post Office Box 235
South Canaan, PA 18459
They also come under several different names as one un-happy client who posted to You tube discovered.

As a disabled person, I do most of my shopping online, I just can't manage to spend so much time browsing in person, often I know roughly what I'm looking for, but not exactly, until I see it. Having to get what you need in one place is also advantageous, as I'm finding out, I need various small pieces, not expensive by any means $5 maybe $6.00 but if I order 3 different items from 3 different suppliers it adds up. I know I'm the exception here, but even within the US, postage alone adds up. Especially if the item is small, often the postage costs more than the item itself.

As I mentioned in another thread here, the closest LHS for me is about 80 miles away. The one that was 50 miles away closed up, was torn down and now the space is occupied by yet another convenience store. I used to buy mainly from those two shops, but rarely have the time to go 80 miles for something these days. I'd be interested in seeing another poll like this too.

I don't have a LHS in my town, so I always had to hit up shops that are quite a distance from where I actually live; and with the pandemic curtailing most events for the last two years, I don't do a lot of travelling around anymore.

I mostly order stuff from those semi-local shops that I used to hit up when I could get near them; or some others I haven't necessarily been to in person but have good prices and shipping fees.

I shop more at on-line model railroad seller than a local hobby shop. I find I spend less on-line and don't have the expense of fuel and the expense of time to travel.

I worry about the on-line seller being able to fill my order on timely basis. I like it when I place an order and within several days it's filled and shipped.

Also, I worry the safe keeping of my credit card information when using an on-line seller, so I use PayPal whenever possible.

I like the ability to shop on-line at any time I wish. No need to get shaved, dressed and then drive to a LHS.

I like a wide selection of items, but usually I shop on-line for one specific item and compare the prices of several on-line shops.

I do like to support my LHS and when this Virus thing is over I'll shop more at my LHS to be able to see different items in person and do some impulse shopping. I do shop at Walther's Showroom since it is a short drive from my home, but I do a list and rarely spend more than more list.

Good luck on your venture.

Greg

This subject thread needs to be reborn as the times have changed.
Thanks for that. It seems to be more prevalent now that more brick & mortar stores are closed.. Original post in 2011 only elicited 6 responses, it has already had 9 today!
Good luck on your venture.
Since the OP hasn't posted since 2014 (on another thread), I doubt that we'll see a response.

Myself, I do not shop online with one exception, as I rather be able to see, feel, and walk out with my purchase. I am fortunate to have a brick and mortar store close enough, 55 miles away a couple of miles from my local grandkids, that I have many opportunities to visit. And prior to 2016 when the owner retired, I had one much closer that I passed every day on my work commute. Both are/were discounters which made them equivalent in price to many online retailers. The one exception is ScaleTrains.
My biggest concern is reliability, not necessarily the vendor but the shipping. Especially for me when my mailbox is on the side of the road 1.25 miles away. UPS and FedEx deliver to my porch though.
My 2¢ worth!

Last edited:
We have 1 store in Wichita anymore (Hobby Town USA), that's an independent of a much larger chain, that sells anything train. They have a limited train supplies, mostly they sell RC and model building kits and supplies. It enough I find if I don't call they will have it, and if I do call they won't. At one time we had shops that sold trains...all are now gone. Most of what I buy anymore is online and depending on what I buy, it's cheaper. I don't consider Hobby Lobby as they really don't have any selection. I can buy some odd and ends, but not much else.

Would make sense this topic is of somewhat more importance considering what we have and still seem to be currently going through with COVID…. A lot of the hobby store sites I do visit make sure you know hours are cut and be masked when visiting the store…

Opening an old thread without reason is ridiculous and I fall victim to Brian’s reopening again.

Before I go off…

TomO

Back