Suggestions for Track Layout

PreserveTheUnion

Hi all!

I'm starting my first model railroad this summer and wanted to gauge (no pun intended) some experts' thoughts on my layout. Now for some minor details:

An interwar period GWR OH layout
A corner table area that has the dimensions of:
First section
L: 49 in
W: 25 in
H: 31 in
IMG_2490.jpeg

Second Section (I am measuring up until the hole in the center):
L: 25 in
W: 32 in
H: 31 in
IMG_2491.jpeg

Now the more important part of this threat...
My layout is heavily (very heavily) inspired by Nancegollan on the Helston Branchline of the Cornwall Main Line.
It is a goods only station, with a running line to the bottom (I can't decide between leaving the bottom line as the running line or just going with an up and a down)

I will be building a small table to the left of section 1 for a small fiddle yard inside of a little mountain/hill.

At this time, I haven't properly spaced anything or checked measurements for the full yard yet, I just want a basic outline before doing so.

And the box with the 3 lines in it is supposed to be another engine shed but I think I may not use that at the moment.

And I plan for the line between the curve and the fiddle yard to be significantly longer, just at this time I wasn't concerned with it because the yard design is what I wanted to work on.
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.21.43 PM.png

Legend:
SB - Signal Box
C - Crane
WT - Water tower
GS - Goods shed
ES - Engine Shed
TT - Turntable

I will obviously redesign and make it look MUCH nicer when I'm ready, but for now it is a simple sketch that I am happy with. Any and all (preferably constructive) comments are accepted, I simply want others' input in my very quaint design.

Cameron

Last edited:
Greg and Flyboy,

The scale is going to be OH, but because this is going to be a British Layout, most of the locos will be OO. So same scale, but OH/OO

Your drawing looks plausible, but I fear that when/if you acquire some actual turnouts/points and use their true dimensions and geometry, you will find that your plan looks a lot different. Some of those angles are very steep, but there is not point-to-frog length. Once you put the real turnout dimensions in place on your diagramme, you'll have to rethink it all.

Your drawing looks plausible, but I fear that when/if you acquire some actual turnouts/points and use their true dimensions and geometry, you will find that your plan looks a lot different. Some of those angles are very steep, but there is not point-to-frog length. Once you put the real turnout dimensions in place on your diagramme, you'll have to rethink it all.

That’s a fair assessment. I was planning on buying a decent amount of straights and only a few points so that I could map out each part and see how it works. I really appreciate the warning and will keep an eye for it on the future. Considering this is no where near my final design (and I plan on using some software to get a better look) I think I should be okay. Thanks again!

Back