Suggestions for Athearn BB passenger cars

GWT&P

I'm thinking about getting some Athearn passenger car kits because of price and length (I have 22" radius curves). What suggestions do ya'll (yeah, I'm from Texas) have to improve looks and performance that would be easy and inexpensive, such as couplers, interiors, etc.
I'm talking about Athearn Standard (Heavyweight) Passenger Cars.

I'm new at this and working on my first layout, so don't get too complicated.:)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen some great looking Athearn Heavyweight kitbashes....Well, one could change out the wheels with metal ones, add an interor, weight the car properly, add diaphrams, add grabirons, and repaint them. Thats what I would do if I had to....

David

Sounds about right to me too. My two Athearn, RMC anniversary cars, I've added Walthers diaphragms, they're not to expensive. I have a Plastruct coach and diner kit I'm going to put in one.

Check into Precision Scale Co. I know there's others, in fact I swear I have a plastruct kit (its unbagged so I have no real clue).

True, but they look good going around 18" Radaii (For whence they were made for).

I believe IHC makes some interiors that you can cut down to fit.

David

If you're into a good deal, and a nice looking car (once repainted into T&P colors) They used Harriman Style Heavyweights (not unlike THESE )

You can buy Trainworld's 9904S, which are 67' Harriman coaches w/ the interior for $4.99 here's a photo from another site showing what they look like: GO HERE

Also, here's a link to the trainworld ad. The Information can be found in the extreme bottom left (that isn't a picture of the car above the listing)

TAKE A LOOK

Also you may want to check out the T&P website, here: http://www.texaspacificrailway.org/?p=7

Also you can purchase the Walthers detail parts for their cars for sale in pack that is about $11. This is all the added on underframe details. It is enough parts to detail 2 cars completely. Have seen it once for sale but don't know the part number.

Back