Suggestions and Opinions Requested

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone. I'm still goofing around with Canon's photo editing software. I'm a little slow, but have finally figured out the resizing options. The following pics aren't anything new, but they are done in the editors high quality settings (now) and should be optimized for web use. Ya'll let me know what ya think, good or bad.

Gallery_Pic.JPG

RailPics_Net.JPG

Dang Grande Man, I've gotta get me one of those cameras. The edits look great. Nice sharp edges, good focus, etc. Excellent IMHO!

Looking good, remember to edit a copy of your picture and save the original just in case.

(don't ask me how I know...)

Regards,

René

They all look great to me!

One thing I've started doing, is saving a copy of the large original, resizing it to almost fill a monitor, then running it thru the "sharpen" filter to take the blur off the edges.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I see ultra sharp pics on the proto galleries and want to get to that level. Problem is, sometimes you can't see the flaws in your own work... To really get there, I'll probably have to eventually upgrade from the "kit" lens I have now.

René, I've already found out that deleting the original RAW files can come back to haunt you. :eek:

Ken, That's a good idea. Bob also suggested it on the proto forum. I can go back and "sharpen" the resized pics. I'll have to give it a try. Maybe sme of the quality that is lost going from RAW to JPEG can be salvaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself keep the original 7.1MP shots I take, then resize copies to 1024x768 (or more like 1024x820ish due to the aspect ratio of the camera).

Though they are AWESOME

EXCELLENT photography, GM... those photos are truly great!!!

You may have already heard of this one, but one of the guys in our train club has started messing around with a new program called HELICON FOCUS that is really producing some fantastic results in depth of field and sharpness. It looks like it can really add tremendous depth to all macro photography... but it involves multiple shots of the same image. I have just downloaded the free version, and thought I'll check it out.

Bob

http://www.helicon.com.ua/pages/focus_overview.html

good or good?

Ya'll let me know what ya think, good or bad.
:confused: :confused:
Grande man: To me they look like: "10 points" certainly the first one: Santa fe 6303.
The second one "the contrast between" light and dark"is great too, only at the front of the engine, the part under the lights, that is , I think, to dark. Actualy it's one of the most interresting parts of an engine, also in scale 1: 87, or not?
About the pixels etc and digital stuff: I am still laying in a cradle and it is tough to me to get out of it...:eek: :D

Jos

EXCELLENT photography, GM... those photos are truly great!!!

You may have already heard of this one, but one of the guys in our train club has started messing around with a new program called HELICON FOCUS that is really producing some fantastic results in depth of field and sharpness. It looks like it can really add tremendous depth to all macro photography... but it involves multiple shots of the same image. I have just downloaded the free version, and thought I'll check it out.

Bob

http://www.helicon.com.ua/pages/focus_overview.html

Thanks Bob. I've been playing with a trial version of Helicon Focus for some time with the old camera. It's got a lot of potential for modeling pics, but there are a few pitfalls I never fully got around. With the Canan 400D, I should be able to get the focus right with the camera itself. Many of the pics I'm taking are of fast freights so multiple exposures at different focal points would be tough to do.

Thanks for the advice and opinion. I'm seeing photos online (admittedly taken by folks with MUCH more photography experience than I) that are really laser sharp. I want to get to that level. Learning to use the Canon software has helped a lot, but I think an L series lens (read expensive:eek: ) and more experience is going to be required to get where I ultimately want to be.

:confused: :confused:
Grande man: To me they look like: "10 points" certainly the first one: Santa fe 6303.
The second one "the contrast between" light and dark"is great too, only at the front of the engine, the part under the lights, that is , I think, to dark. Actualy it's one of the most interresting parts of an engine, also in scale 1: 87, or not?
About the pixels etc and digital stuff: I am still laying in a cradle and it is tough to me to get out of it...:eek: :D

Jos

Thanks for the input Jos.

You bring up some good points for a newby photographer. Lighting is very important, but sometimes the stars just don't quite line up for that perfect shot. I agree, that may be the case with the pic of the lease unit. I also agree that the contrast looks cool and I like the late afternoon warm light. As for the first pic, I'm thinking the backdrop was every bit as important as the locomotive, another lesson learned.

the first thing I "saw/ noticed " on the picture with "Santa Fe 6303" was: the horizontal lines of the tracks and the engine in the front in contrast with the vertical lines of the many chimneys on at the background! just great!
Also the "" complimentary" colors of the engine and the green leaves and the brown/red chimneys....
Think this is going to be an "evergreen" ha ha.lol

Jos

I usually save all of the original shots 'as is'. Anything that needs processing gets saved as a new file, usually with a nice, descriptive name, location, date. Those have been resized, sharpened, and maybe Gamma correction. Don't normally do any contrast fixing, unless it's really bad and the subject is kinda unique.

Normal save size for posting generally targets in at about 190K for a 1200x900 image.

Kennedy

Thanks guys for the comments and info. They really help. :)

One other thing I'm looking forward to is a "how to" lesson from a friend of mine that is a pro photographer. He uses Canon (well above the 400D) and says he can teach me a few tricks. I just got off the phone with him and he volunteered his time. :cool:

Back