Suddenly Quits

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
The empire has been running fine for the past year or so, including op sessions.
Yesterday I took a break from the grade crossing project to run trains and I couldn't get any of the throttles to work. Even plugging into a UP5 wouldn't get them to work. Locos were sitting on the track with lights on and engines idling but just couldn't access them.
I unplugged the loconet from the command station and plugged the throttle directly into a booster and it responded and activated a loco.
Now, gotta start tracing loconet plugs.
I have a schematic of the system and loconet cables are labeled on each end so I won't need to remove facia.
There are at least 40 items on the loconet system.

Do a reset OpSw-wise and start fresh. Assuming nothing has gotten snagged and is no longer making electrical contact, nothing shorting, nothing chewed on by mice/rats, no weak solders finally let go...those kind of un-seeables-until-you-look-for-them, and you haven't inadvertently input something that is confounding the command station or what it sees from one or more throttles, then you really ought to just clear everything, power off, power on, press 'function' to ensure you can run a selected address, and see what happens. T'is what I would do. Faster, and more satisfying, than scratching your head and listening to the seconds left in your play time tick down on the nearby clock.

Started the troubleshooting process.
Removed the facia near the command station then plugged in a throttle. All works well now. Never even touched a loconet cable. I'll have to take a closer look to see what it might have been. It was right near the command stations whatever the problem was because I wasn't even connecting to the UR92.

WIRING.jpg

Back