Styrene Suggestions

Bill Sharp

Bill Sharp
I'm back in the hobby after 50 years and have never worked with styrene. Don't think it existed way back when. So I'd like to try my hand at scratch-building an O gauge structure. What thicknesses of styrene should I get, how many sheets of what size, and what glue is best. I'll probably brace it inside with scale lumber.:cool:

Styrene is a great scratchbuilding material. Easy to cut. Just score it and bend. It will break right at or very close to the score line. A really quick sand will get rid of any rough edges. I use Tamiya Extra Thin. It comes in a 40 ml bottle with an aplicationg brush. There are also thicker glues as well but I like the super thin. It sets almost instantly. It will wick into the joint and there is next to no glue residue to clean up. I usually tack everything into place and then fill in the spaces between the tacks. This glue dries very fast and strong. It actually fuses the pieces together.
As to what type of styrene to buy, we have to know what you are planning to build. On the Evergreen site the largest size is usually O scale. In many cases wood may be a better alternative.There is a bigger selection and it is available in longer lengths than styrene. I find it just as easy to work with as well.

You can also buy large sheets of styrene, from 3x6 to 4x8 sheets, typically in .020, .040, and .060 " thicknesses at plastic supply houses. It is way cheaper than buying it at the hobby shop, but then the hobbyshop stuff is milled for siding etc. It may also be available at sign shops or by recyling old signs.

Back