Stripping an Atlas Loco Shell during a Pandemic

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hi gang, I have this Atlas Master series GP38 shell that came factory-painted for Family Lines -

GP38_shell_FamilyLines.jpg

...and I wish to strip away at least the striping and logo, if not the entire coat of gray paint.

One thing that has always worked for me in the past is soaking the shell in 91% Isopropyl alcohol. But today, with all of the ISO being diverted to medical facilities and none available in retail outlets, I have to find some other solution. [BTW - I do NOT have the tools to do sandblasting, so that's not an option for me.]

A friend suggested I try using Easy-Off oven cleaner. Before I do that, I'd like to hear from any of you who already have used Easy-Off on Atlas Master- or Silver-series loco shells. Because I know there are some brands, such as Kato, made of plastic that is destroyed by certain stripping chemicals.

I'd also like to hear what other non-ISO solutions work on Atlas shells.

Thanks in advance...

Hi gang, I have this Atlas Master series GP38 shell that came factory-painted for Family Lines -

View attachment 47967
...and I wish to strip away at least the striping and logo, if not the entire coat of gray paint.

One thing that has always worked for me in the past is soaking the shell in 91% Isopropyl alcohol. But today, with all of the ISO being diverted to medical facilities and none available in retail outlets, I have to find some other solution. [BTW - I do NOT have the tools to do sandblasting, so that's not an option for me.]

A friend suggested I try using Easy-Off oven cleaner. Before I do that, I'd like to hear from any of you who already have used Easy-Off on Atlas Master- or Silver-series loco shells. Because I know there are some brands, such as Kato, made of plastic that is destroyed by certain stripping chemicals.

I'd also like to hear what other non-ISO solutions work on Atlas shells.

Thanks in advance...
Use Scalecoat Wash-Away. It's a little pricey but works well, and you won't risk damaging the shell

Alan & Terry - thanks for your replies!

Alan, that Scalecoat II Wash Away looks like good stuff, wish I could just drive to an LHS and pick some up! But since that's not currently possible at the moment, I'd have to order it from online, pay shipping, and wait a week to get it.

Sooo...I'll go with Terry's idea and try Denatured Alcohol. I can get a gallon of that for ~$16 from my nearby Home Depot this afternoon.

In the meantime, I found an old Atlas Trainman shell in my scrapbox that is factory-painted for CSX, I'll soak this one first and see how the plastic is affected:
AtlasTrainmanSacrificialShell.jpg

...and if the plastic doesn't become like potato chips [that's what brake fluid does to Kato shells], then I'll know I can use it on my project shell!👍

Why don't you try the oven cleaner on that one too?
For all that waiting and cost - you would be better off sending it here?
(but you don't trust the mail)

Alan & Terry - thanks for your replies!

Alan, that Scalecoat II Wash Away looks like good stuff, wish I could just drive to an LHS and pick some up! But since that's not currently possible at the moment, I'd have to order it from online, pay shipping, and wait a week to get it.

Sooo...I'll go with Terry's idea and try Denatured Alcohol. I can get a gallon of that for ~$16 from my nearby Home Depot this afternoon.

In the meantime, I found an old Atlas Trainman shell in my scrapbox that is factory-painted for CSX, I'll soak this one first and see how the plastic is affected:
View attachment 47971

...and if the plastic doesn't become like potato chips [that's what brake fluid does to Kato shells], then I'll know I can use it on my project shell!👍
Anytime your unsure as to the effect of chemical on a expensive item , dab it on the inside of the shell and see what happens . If it does damage it , it will be on the inside where its unnoticeable. Make sure you take the clear parts out as that is most likely a different plastic it might cause it to cloud over.

Ken
I stumbled across this thread looking for something else.. Go to Walmart (where Covid wont live) and get some Purple Power back in the Automotive section. It works!

Back