street running on turnouts?

jt5

im doing an interurban streetrunning railroad and was wondering how does one get the "road crossing" in between the turnout without messing up the turnout functional ability and still look cosmtically good.

Are you planning to use plaster-like stuff for the street?...This would be tricky on turnouts...a "footer board" like in concrete work would need to be placed to keep the plaster out of the moving areas, then removed, cleaned and worked on to obtain smooth operation. I think Wathers book had inlays but I am not sure about switches...I tried to search their web site but couldn't narrow the search down to enough pages, I'd prob have better luck looking in the catalog. ...LOL. I personally would probably try to form one on cardstock till I shaped one close to it then using it as a pattern transferring to plastic sheet, and cutting out, place and sand and tweak till it didn't interfere with the workings...then cement down. Paint to match....Even if I plastered the most of the road, I'd still use this in turnouts, because you could tweak it easily. And joints could be hidden in expansion/cracks. Am sure other guys might do it different or have better ideas, I was just trying to give you my idea. Hope this helps!

Saw this layout today, almost all street running, the only problem they were having was the plaster between the rails was catching some wheel sets near a turnout resulting in derailments

P2170069.jpg

Walthers Track Inserts

im doing an interurban streetrunning railroad and was wondering how does one get the "road crossing" in between the turnout without messing up the turnout functional ability and still look cosmtically good.

Walthers does indeed have a track insert system, (933-3140 HO Street Track Inserts) and there's a couple on ebay right now with good closeup pictures, item# 260083703316
There are inserts that go between the points that provide clearance and are trimmed for the spike heads.
I used them for my engine terminal but ran out of the straight outside rail trim (?), anyone happen to have extra?
Rico

Back