Stone Walls

beiland

I am seriously considering putting stone walls on the edges of the ramps on the upper level of my layout. I'm figuring some type of random field stone. or random granite stone ,...perhaps like this
Retaining%20Wall.jpg

Its going to be utilized here,...
PHOTO
PHOTO

Its been suggested I use some flexible stone materials like those produced by Chooch
I would recommend one of the Chooch flexible stone wall sheets. It's thin and easily mounted on 1/8" hobby plywood, or whatever, which solves the issue of taking up too much space. There are several styles and sizes available including cut stone. It's self-adhesive, but a word of caution; the ends curl and are extremely hard to flatten out and you need more glue than the self-adhesive backing to make them fit flat. Glue and clamp the material to the backing surface (plywood in my case) before installing the wall on the layout.

So 2 questions initially:
1) Anyone with personal experience gluing these materials to backing substrates?
2) Anyone have some unused materials they might want to sell?

Here is where I am thinking of using some stone wall material,

.........on this ramp of track (behind the cryogenic scene) going up to the coal mine)
DSCF7496.jpg

...and here on the track going up to the bridge over the logging pond,
DSCF4670.jpg

DSCF4499.JPG

DSCF4500.JPG

DSCF4652.jpg

So as you can see I may need a fair amount of wall material,...

If it turns out like your example, will be very attractive when you are done.

Agreed that the Chooch puts a lots of texture in their rubbery material. I did have some difficulty getting it to stick well, I have mainly been using it as the foundation for buildings, and sometimes find it pulling away at the corners. I used CCA glue. I may try the hot glue gun.

Dave LASM

If it turns out like your example, will be very attractive when you are done.

Agreed that the Chooch puts a lots of texture in their rubbery material. I did have some difficulty getting it to stick well, I have mainly been using it as the foundation for buildings, and sometimes find it pulling away at the corners. I used CCA glue. I may try the hot glue gun.

Dave LASM

I hot glued one side at a time and used wood clamps until set up. The corners are pretty tight and then there's always scenery to hide what needs to be hiden :)

Back