Stiff-Swiveling Front Truck Causes Derailing

Brakeman Hal

My O-Scale 2-Rail GP-35 Diesel runs fine all around my 130-foot folded dogbone, except for one point, where there is a transition from a curve to a straight, and this is where the front truck derails.

My other engines and my rolling stock have no problem at this point, and this is because their trucks pivot freely.

How can I free up the front truck on the offending engine? Remove it and lube it?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal (Engine shown)
002.JPG

Hal I’d look at that section of track first, seems the easier to repair.
Could be a simple fix like a joiner or very slight kink.
Does that loco go all right in the opposite direction?
Otherwise I can’t help you with the truck thing unfortunately, not familiar with that loco.

I would think a quick clean and lube certainly wouldn't hurt anything and may even solve the issue - if that's the issue. I don't do much in O scale, but with my HO locos, I think nearly every one of them has their little quirks and with certain sections they don't like. My Dash-8 has one spot where it will derail every time if I back it through. Forward is not a problem, and no other loco has an issue in this spot. After a lot of careful study, the issue comes down to the trackage.

Clean and Lube? Yup. Go for it. Check the track, too, while you're at it.

Hey Roundhouse Boomers,

It seems that all 3 of my diesel locos have the same freedom in the swiveling of their front trucks, but my Atlas engine has the derailing problem, while my 2 MTH locos sail right around all the curves on my 130-foot layout! It think it may be the transition of the curve into the straight section that gives the Atlas engine the trouble.

This was never a problem until I recently removed the siding and turnouts (pictured), unknowingly replacing the track with a slightly different curve.

Since my layout is 100% Flex Track, it would be no problem to unspike the offending section and re-lay it more carefully, providing a proper transition between straight and curve.

Yeah...that's what I'll do!

Hal

Attachments

• IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 103
I would make sure that any super rises and falls gradually and evenly, or that the outer rail doesn't have a slight dip in it near the apex of the curve. If it has a dip deep enough to let the flange lift wide of the gauge, you'll get a derailment.

Sometimes a truck can have crud between it and the frame. Pet hair, human hair, lint, household floor crud, bits of scenery foam...whatever. I would also remove the truck, inspect its mounting, and then reattach it a little less tight if it mounts with a single screw.

Crandell, there are no elevation changes in this portion of my layout, and since the layout is 44" above the floor and is kept clean, I don't think that's the problem, but thanks for pointing it out!

I'll go for the re-laying of that section of the layout, which is shown in the upper right corner of the layout plan, where the curve joins the straight section to the left. The governing radius is 45 inches on the inside curve.
Hal
IMG_0703.JPG

Last edited:
Hal I purchased a Walthers 'built-up' indexed turntable when they were introduced back in 2006. I mounted it in a finished basement at about the 42" level, well above the floor, and away from any vents.

The instructions were very clear: vacuum the pit area regularly, and to otherwise keep the turntable free of debris, dust, etc. I did so. I was scrupulous about following the instructions. Then, for whatever reason, I forget now, I felt I needed to open the drive at the end of the bridge. I couldn't believe the amount of crud that had accumulated inside the housing, fouling the gear mechanism. Hairs, dirt, bits of ground foam...it was all there, just waiting to be discovered.

My entire 130 feet of track is cleaned every time I run my train over it.

I refer you to my track-cleaning car in the track cleaning thread.
Hal

Back