Stewart's ATSF FT:"boxy" dynamics or not?

CurlSnout

Henna Gaijin
Stewart's Santa Fe FT passenger locomotive #163 (Stewart's No. 5068) is shown at the Bowser website as having the "boxy" dynamic brakes structure:

FT%20163%20Stewart.jpg

But at the Walthers web site, the same model is shown differently; the boxy dynamic brakes are conspicuously absent:

FT%20163%20Walthers.jpg

Can anyone offer clarification?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Stewart's Santa Fe FT passenger locomotive #163 (Stewart's No. 5068) is shown at the Bowser website as having the "boxy" dynamic brakes structure:

FT%20163%20Stewart.jpg

But at the Walthers web site, the same model is shown differently; the boxy dynamic brakes are conspicuously absent:

FT%20163%20Walthers.jpg

Can anyone offer clarification?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Sam

Why would a passenger locomotive need a dynmaic brake? Fifthteen or so passenger cars aren't that heavy. But maybe I'm wrong I think E7's and E8's had them. I guess I been gone to long from the railroad to remember all the details.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Walthers photo has had the top cropped off, the horns are missing too. Any FT photos I've seen have had the dynamics, they may have only come that way.

Could be one of two things:

1. Walthers didn't bother assembling the details when they took the picture. The dynamic brake parts are separately applied on Stewart FTs. The lack of horns would support this theory.

2. Walthers built it as a different version. Stewart FTs that sold as 'kits' included all of the parts needed to model several variations, so the modeler could pick the one correct for the prototype. Perhaps they just chose the wrong one.

Today most Stewart FTs (maybe all by now) are sold with the dynamic brakes already assembled according to the prototype. Here's the current product photo from Bowser:

691-5068S.jpg

I was referring to George statement of why....

Between April and August 1946 ten more A-B-B-A sets, road numbers 158LABC through 166LABC were removed from freight service and converted to passenger configuration by the Santa Fe. These locomotives were used in passenger service as a stopgap until enough newer F3 and F7 types had been purchased to dieselize all major passenger trains. One of the big reasons for converting the FT's to passenger service was that doing so enabled the railroad to dispense with helper service over Raton Pass. The dynamic brakes were also useful on the long downgrade in western Arizona allowing better train handling.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

The thing is, I was not asking about the "real" locomotive. I've read the ATSF pages and I know that the prototype had the boxy dynamic brake radiators.

I was asking about Stewart's model, and I'm curious to know why what is claimed to be the same model is presented in two different configurations by two different vendors.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear. And, thanks again.

cs

I was asking about Stewart's model, and I'm curious to know why what is claimed to be the same model is presented in two different configurations by two different vendors.

That's what I tried to explain in my first post. One vendor didn't attach the dynamic brakes before taking the photo, and the other did. They are separate parts on the Stewart FTs. Today, however, almost all of them are factory assembled to take the guess work out of which version is correct for the prototype.

Back