Stewart locomotives

chessie_system3

I have received a pretty decent offer for a Stewart locomotive. I'd say it's an older model as it appears it has an Athearn motor in it. Atleast it looks like one. Anyone have experience with these? Are they good? Are they bad?

The Kato powered ones are pretty good. The Athearn powered ones are not as good. I had an AS16 with an Athearn drive that was so noisy my wife had trouble hearing the TV when I ran it.

I have received a pretty decent offer for a Stewart locomotive. I'd say it's an older model as it appears it has an Athearn motor in it. Atleast it looks like one. Anyone have experience with these? Are they good? Are they bad?
First, what Stewart locomotive are you talking about? They are most known for their F units of the late 1980s and early 1990s. But they also made other types of locomotives. Different models had different drive stories.

I know the U25B did have an Athearn drive.
Stewart F units began their production with Kato drives, they then moved to drives with a Bulher motor, at least one batch had a "low torque" motor, which apparently would burn up if they stalled. They fixed that issue with the next run. Then Bowser took over and I don't know about those.

Other than the Kato which is stamped on the bottom of the truck, I don't know how to tell one from another, especially without an original box and paperwork.

Personally I found very little difference in the Kato drive and the Bulher's that I own. But could just be coincidence that I have never stalled them or I didn't get any from the production run with the low torque motors.

First, what Stewart locomotive are you talking about? They are most known for their F units of the late 1980s and early 1990s. But they also made other types of locomotives. Different models had different drive stories.

I know the U25B did have an Athearn drive.
Stewart F units began their production with Kato drives, they then moved to drives with a Bulher motor, at least one batch had a "low torque" motor, which apparently would burn up if they stalled. They fixed that issue with the next run. Then Bowser took over and I don't know about those.

Other than the Kato which is stamped on the bottom of the truck, I don't know how to tell one from another, especially without an original box and paperwork.

Personally I found very little difference in the Kato drive and the Bulher's that I own. But could just be coincidence that I have never stalled them or I didn't get any from the production run with the low torque motors.
One I have been offered is a U25B. Ugly yet unique at the same time. I know if its Athearn powered itll be loud. Especially an older style Athearn.

68469A47-397D-4445-8DA0-E482D77FA77D.jpeg
79D2FCF6-7A40-41D8-91C9-912BDDE7B1A2.jpeg
Love, love, love my Stewart VO1000’s!

There is no such thing as an UGLY U25B! FRISCO bought the very first one made and also the very last one made. I was never a fan of the high nose version, but the low nose was a very nice looking engine - Chugga, Chugga, Chugga!

1617721061899.png

Eh the one I was looking at was a low nose version. I passed on it eventhough the numbering on it made it perfect for my time period on the layout. However the crews complained about how slippery they were to operate in the mountains. So they were sent to the midwest. So their time was very short lived in the region I model.

Back