Stereo speakers

tootnkumin

Staff member
I've noticed when looking at cellphone speakers, the late models have their ear piece speakers in pairs for stereophonic sound (quite small, far as I can see). I don't believe any of the decoders on offer so far have that capability as yet? Some, such as Scale Trains, are using 2 sugarcube speakers in their models, mounted in separate enclosures, but conjoined into 1. Something for the future?, because I would imagine spacing a distance apart would be required to gain the full effect.

I am assembling a small isobaric, magnet to cone type, using HTC one M8 cell ear piece speakers with the speakers glued together, long edge to long edge, but with the faces (cones, or what passes for them) reversed, so one will 'fire' in and one out. This also aligns the wiring contacts (spring contacts) so series wiring is very easy. I have yet to make the styrene combined enclosure for them.

King Toot this is O scale, but it does have true stereo sound. Lionel Vision Line GG1

This is the version I have and the sound is amazing!
1566552322026.png

Lionel Vision Line GG1 Features
  • LEGACY™ Control System equipped – able to run in LEGACY™ Control Mode, in TrainMaster Command Control mode, or in Conventional mode with a standard transformer
  • Odyssey®II Speed Control
  • LEGACY RailSounds® system featuring:
  • Stereo and localized sounds with speakers at each end of the locomotive
  • Cab number – specific CrewTalk dialog and TowerCom announcements, each with different scenarios depending on whether the locomotive is in motion or stopped.
  • Six official railroad speeds with CrewTalk dialog
  • Realistic electric locomotive motor and background sounds synchronized with the locomotive’s speed
  • LEGACY™ “Real-Time Quilling Horn” control with instant response for realistic “quilling” and correctly timed warning signals
  • Sequence Control plays the sound effects of an entire trip, including warning sounds and announcements, based on the movement and speed of the locomotive
  • Current speed dialog
  • Dual sprung pantographs
  • Operate automatically with train start-up, change in direction and shut down
  • “De-icing” mode with both pantographs raised
  • Can be manually triggered with remote
  • Individual on-off switches on locomotive to lock out feature
  • Sprung for better tracking under model catenary
  • “Catenary arc” lighting effect
  • IR Sensor Equipped
  • Fan-driven smoke unit (steam generator)
  • Dual powerful maintenance-free motors
  • ElectroCouplers™ at each end
  • Directional lighting
  • Illuminated classification lights
  • Traction tires
  • Interior cab illumination
  • Die-cast metal body, pilots and trucks
  • High level of separately applied detail parts
  • Separately applied etched builders plates
  • High air intake screens where appropriate
  • Cab window “glass”
  • Engineer and Fireman figures in cab
  • Length: 20”
  • Minimum Curve: O72

King Toot this is O scale, but it does have true stereo sound. Lionel Vision Line GG1

This is the version I have and the sound is amazing!
View attachment 38830
Lionel Vision Line GG1 Features
  • LEGACY™ Control System equipped – able to run in LEGACY™ Control Mode, in TrainMaster Command Control mode, or in Conventional mode with a standard transformer
  • Odyssey®II Speed Control
  • LEGACY RailSounds® system featuring:
  • Stereo and localized sounds with speakers at each end of the locomotive
  • Cab number – specific CrewTalk dialog and TowerCom announcements, each with different scenarios depending on whether the locomotive is in motion or stopped.
  • Six official railroad speeds with CrewTalk dialog
  • Realistic electric locomotive motor and background sounds synchronized with the locomotive’s speed
  • LEGACY™ “Real-Time Quilling Horn” control with instant response for realistic “quilling” and correctly timed warning signals
  • Sequence Control plays the sound effects of an entire trip, including warning sounds and announcements, based on the movement and speed of the locomotive
  • Current speed dialog
  • Dual sprung pantographs
  • Operate automatically with train start-up, change in direction and shut down
  • “De-icing” mode with both pantographs raised
  • Can be manually triggered with remote
  • Individual on-off switches on locomotive to lock out feature
  • Sprung for better tracking under model catenary
  • “Catenary arc” lighting effect
  • IR Sensor Equipped
  • Fan-driven smoke unit (steam generator)
  • Dual powerful maintenance-free motors
  • ElectroCouplers™ at each end
  • Directional lighting
  • Illuminated classification lights
  • Traction tires
  • Interior cab illumination
  • Die-cast metal body, pilots and trucks
  • High level of separately applied detail parts
  • Separately applied etched builders plates
  • High air intake screens where appropriate
  • Cab window “glass”
  • Engineer and Fireman figures in cab
  • Length: 20”
  • Minimum Curve: O72
Plenty of distance and bigger speakers would certainly be an advantage for stereo reproduction, but, I guess if they can do it in the width of a phone, it should also be possible in at least HO. We may have to wait till motors within the trucks, become commonplace. The battle between electronics/space/weight for traction, has to be dealt with.

Boy, Googles algorithms are right on Que. Mention stereo speakers and the bottom of the page is invaded by them.

With stereo speakers in your locomotive, you could do a dopple shift without the locomotive even moving. Now that is modeling!

Back