SteelWheels "N" scale layout

steelwheels

Hi everyone,
Still new to the area and learning my way around, being that model rail roading is a visual thing. I would like to share what's in my basement.

Quick history, started in N about 1983, first layout in my townhouse. Was L shaped with a bridge that spanned from corner too corner. Making the layout a triangle, with operations in the middle, bridge to my back. The bridge was made of 10 Deck Bridge Kits from Faller.

!987 Having had enough of Miami, packed up the layout, and moved to Woodstock, GA. Now having a house with a basement a new layout began. Ten years later completed and remains that way today.,

DSCN0012.JPGDSCN1175.JPGDSCN1176.JPG

Attachments

• Train1.jpg
    Train1.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 424
I agree, very nice work! Does it run as good as it looks?

Mark,

A model rail road is a machine, I work on machines, yes it does run well. As big as this layout is, wheel sets of the engines need to be cleaned. Ultra sonic cleaner, makes that job easy. The axles, and pockets they ride in, bolsters, copper wipers other areas to watch, and to be maintained.

Will do a lot for the performance, my layout is block controlled so dirt levels are critical. Having a constant track voltage as the DC & DCC control have is a huge advantage over analog.

All machines need maintenance.. glad you like the detail thanks.

Greg

Greg, I'm a machine guy, too. So, I get where your coming from.

How did I miss this?
Very very nice Greg, but we're going to need more pictures! :)

Behind the engine house, is downtown. See the window washers on the side of the brown building. John Allen's hobby shop a few door down in the early years.

DSCN1362.JPG

DSCN1382.JPG

DSCN1174.JPG

DSCN1360.JPG

DSCN1381.JPG

DSCN1173.JPG

Greg, you've done an excellent job with the details. Having been in N scale years ago, I can appreciate the work that went into these scenes. Well done. Thumb up.gif

THAT IS NOTHING SHORT OF OUTSTANDING!
Greg - You have a lot of "sweat" in this layout -- Well done.

I have looked at these pics dozens of times and still can't believe this is N scale. Amazing.

Greg,

What you have achieved is nothing short of amazing. You have shown not only your incredible skill but also that N Scale can be, and is, just as detailed as other scales. Excellent work mate!

Thank you Migalyto, Oie & Tony much appreciated.

My intentions are to motivate and show others N is capable.

John Allen's empire was my inspiration.

Thanks again
Greg

Industry located at the end of the yard, goods arrive in the yard, sorted and delivered, or picked up for shipping.

greg

Attachments

• DSCN1126.JPG
    DSCN1126.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN1036.JPG
    DSCN1036.JPG
    402.5 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCN1035.JPG
    DSCN1035.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN1037.JPG