steel mill pics

Wow, I'm not sure where to start as I'm in early stages of planning my steel mill layout. I have so many questions but will need to think as I get more time to look at the photos each long enough to come up with what I want to ask. I assume you are a member of the steel group on yahoo groups. If not you need to be..

Talk more later.
Dave

No im not a member how do you become one and what steel group on yahoo? i would like to be a member. thanks for the replies.

Great stuff!

Wonder if you work in the steel industry and how long you have been modelling?

Everything looks super realistic.

logandsawman

Never worked in the steel industry worked in several mills working for a crane dealer i hate to see US steel mills closing.thanks for the kind words
and the info on yahoo.

Linder1:

Like the pics; ex-steel worker myself at the mostly gone US Steel Fairless Works in Pennsylvania. I know you said you're freelancing and that's cool. Something I would like to mention though is to have some way for the coal that gets dumped at the rotary to get to the towers at the coke oven batteries. At Fairless we used a bunch of conveyors. Did 2 years in Coke Works and 2 years in the rolling mill. Dad did 30+ years in blast furnace and was there from the start at Fairless.

As a side comment and this is not directed at you - I wish someone would make door cars and a pusher for getting the coke out of the coke ovens. And for anyone that's into steel mills and possibly modeling them try and get a copy of a US Steel book called 'The Making, Shaping and Treating Of Steel'. I believe it's been long out of print but if you can find one it's a treasure trove of material on the process.

Well the komatsu dealer delivered two new WA800 wheel loaders and liebherr delivered two new 932 scrap cranes and terex
delivered ten new 100 ton trucks one loader will go in the coal yard and the other one will go in the ore yard both liebherrs
will go in the scrap yard and the trucks will haul slag,ect.in the plant.and i got several transformers for the plant.like i said i will have to
build a nother table for the scrap yard and slag pit more pics to follow enjoy.

Attachments

• gehl loader 105.jpg
    gehl loader 105.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 183
  • gehl loader 103.jpg
    gehl loader 103.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 185
  • gehl loader 104.jpg
    gehl loader 104.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 186
More pics the first of 6 MP15's being repainted USS steel blue and decaled and more buildings painted blue also.
enjoy.

Attachments

• gehl loader 109.jpg
    gehl loader 109.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 176
  • gehl loader 106.jpg
    gehl loader 106.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 171
  • gehl loader 107.jpg
    gehl loader 107.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 169
  • gehl loader 108.jpg
    gehl loader 108.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 177
heres #4 engine still have to weather it. and one of 3 flood loaders.enjoy.

Attachments

• gehl loader 113.jpg
    gehl loader 113.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 163
  • gehl loader 111.jpg
    gehl loader 111.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 170
  • gehl loader 112.jpg
    gehl loader 112.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 165
You have a very awesome layout underway! I would like to do something like that but unfortunately do not have the room.

Back