steam

blackz28

i just putting up my big steam pic dont remember if i put this up before or not since i have a few pics but enjoy:D

Last edited by a moderator:
it so hard to get a good pics of articulated where i live , i guess i will have to take the pics on the club layout instead

Black Z28,

If I did this right, you should see a couple of cropped and color-corrected pictures of your steam engines:

tumblr_mnwisf4srY1suteako1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnwisf4srY1suteako2_1280.jpg

Ah, fun with Photoshop!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Looks good! It would be nice to lose the three garbage cans in the background though. tomstockton did hide them a bit.

a couple of comments.
when taking pictures of my locomotives I make sure their always on the rails makes them look sooo much better.
do not set them side by side it like this as it blocks the view of the other ones take separate shots of each and never take your picture into the sun as it causes shadowing that hides details.:D
I took these indoors on the layout with the use of a tripod that stabilizes the camera.

019.jpg

GNN3No2023.jpg

004-1.jpg

001-1_zps9ebd048c.jpg

holy crap those are nice engines & yes i was going to wait & do the photos @ the club i just cant seem to get down there , & also on my to do list was photoshop correction lol but like everything else :p

THANKS TOM :)

Beautiful engines!!! Make me want to throw our little layout into the time machine and back up a couple of decades. :)

And if by chance your lucky enough to have a turntable installed on either your own or a club layout is another ideal place to showcase your engines :D

bigdog.png

Great pictures. I'll put my two cents in, but with only a 90 foot turntable, mine are a bit smaller.
IMAG0172.jpgIMAG0174.jpg

a couple of comments.
when taking pictures of my locomotives I make sure their always on the rails makes them look sooo much better.
do not set them side by side it like this as it blocks the view of the other ones take separate shots of each and never take your picture into the sun as it causes shadowing that hides details.:D
I took these indoors on the layout with the use of a tripod that stabilizes the camera.

019.jpg

That's a really nice shot! What club is that anyway?

This is exactly the kind of image I have in mind for the new modelrailroadphotos.com website. You've hit on some good points, place the locomotive in a natural setting. Be sure it's on the rails (Check ALL the wheels, twice...) Use a tripod for good sharpness and depth of field.

In fact, with a couple of very easy changes, this photo would be really excellent. It would only take a moment to use "Content aware fill" in Photoshop to put sky in place of the backdrop. Do the same for the bit of benchwork on the left and you're good to go!

In fact, I'll make you a deal... If you let me post it as a before and after over at modelrailroadphotos.com, I'll do the edits for you. When done, I'll post both shots, a short explanation of what I did, and of course give you full credit as photographer.

In fact, I'll make you a deal... If you let me post it as a before and after over at modelrailroadphotos.com, I'll do the edits for you. When done, I'll post both shots, a short explanation of what I did, and of course give you full credit as photographer.

Bob
Absolutely, permission granted,as matter of fact feel free to see what can be done with the 2-10-2 sitting on the turntable if you wish.
one thing I have had comment on is the police car in the for ground.....way too modern for that scene,to be honest had't even noticed it when I took the shot....DOH!

Bob
Absolutely, permission granted,as matter of fact feel free to see what can be done with the 2-10-2 sitting on the turntable if you wish.
one thing I have had comment on is the police car in the for ground.....way too modern for that scene,to be honest had't even noticed it when I took the shot....DOH!

The turntable shot would be a lot of work. Next time, place a piece of sky blue posterboard behind it. You can use that for a starting point, and then paint in some sky. Trying work around all the details on the locomotive is a lot of work and you'll get frustrated pretty quickly.

The bridge shot was easy. At first glance, it looks like a lot of work. There is a lot to fix, but the good news is that everything is next to organic items like trees or rocks. So you can edit close to them and if they're affected it won't be obvious. Here's my to-do list:

bridge-2.jpg

Notice that none of the changes are related to the train itself. I'm not trying to add details or weather etc. I'm just removing objects that are obviously not part of the scene, or, in the case of the cop car and graffiti, aren't from the correct era. (Yes, there was graffiti in the steam era too, but not the sweeping spray can style.)

Back