Steam Engines

G Fresh

I am looking to make a civil war style railroad layout, and I would like to have a steam engine styled from the mid 1800's (4-4-0 and a balloon stack.) Through internet research, I found IHC's 4-4-0 Old Time American Steam Locomotives, however, these do not "puff" steam. Are there any manufactures that make a HO scale 4-4-0 that also puffs steam?

Thanks for the help.

I doubt it. These engines are small - really small! Some have the actual motor in the tender, with a drive shaft running into the engine and gearing to run the wheels. Most of the engine insides are composed of metal weight.

You can buy replacement smoke stacks that "emit" smoke, they do not really "puff". Look up "Seuthe" on the Walthers website for examples. They have to be wired into the pickup wires for power, probably requiring wires to the tender. They require you to insert liquid smoke fluid into the stacks so they will emit smoke. If they are run dry, the heating element that turns the liquid to smoke can overhead and burn out. Also if you put too much fluid in them, they may not work properly.

It probably can be done, but will probably be too much effort for the wispy smoke that comes out when everything is working right.

Back