Steam car

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
20191014_010745.jpg
20191014_010745.jpg

Anyone have one of these? I bought this and another unit years ago thought they would be great on the layout whenever I get it built this winter. The details is pretty darn good!

I think it will make a nice addition for anyone modeling a RR that used the cars. Unfortunately the New York Central didn't use them. The central used E7 & 8's for long distance trips with each engine having 2 steam generators and water expansion tanks which will get you 10 hours of steam. Sixteen hour trip from Grand Central to Chicago, 2 E8's on the head end equals 20 hour of steam. The F7 family of engines had 1 steam generator. Any RR using them for long distance trips will need the cars.

George

Anyone have one of these? I bought this and another unit years ago thought they would be great on the layout whenever I get it built this winter. The details is pretty darn good!
I have a Northern Pacific unit I purchased a long time ago. It has never left its box. I am not certain NP ever actually had any like this. I think they used steam locomotive tenders for their steam generators.

I have a Northern Pacific unit I purchased a long time ago. It has never left its box. I am not certain NP ever actually had any like this. I think they used steam locomotive tenders for their steam generators.
Most of the railroads they offer didn't have that specific car. Rapido makes models based on canadian prototypes, and I believe that car was originally CN.

They also offer it in Milwaukee Road paint, which I know for sure is not correct. Milw's two steam cars were former 4-8-4 tenders.

I just received a Rapido booklet today with a loco delivery and these new steam cars have sound !
looks like a cheap way of adding sound to a Diesel .
Don't know what it sounds like though.
Plenty of road names and numbers.

Colin.
I believe they have something like Tsunami SoundCar, which adds car-specific sound effects. There may be bells and whistle sounds, but no prime mover noises.

Back