Steam đźš‚ won't go into reverse

Are these DC or DCC. If the latter, I suspect there is a CV that needs changing. But if they are DC only, that is more of a puzzle. Have you checked to see that the valve gear isn't binding? Have you tried reversing the leads from the DC powerpack to the tracks? If that's the case, there might be something amiss with the powerpack.

Are these DC or DCC. If the latter, I suspect there is a CV that needs changing. But if they are DC only, that is more of a puzzle. Have you checked to see that the valve gear isn't binding? Have you tried reversing the leads from the DC powerpack to the tracks? If that's the case, there might be something amiss with the powerpack.
Well, which is it? DC or DCC.
If DC...
Pick up loco
Turn it end for end
Put on track
Does it go in reverse?

Put a 9 volt battery on the wheels with the pickups, does it run? Turn the battery around, does it run? Take the shell off and attach power from a 9 volt batter directly to the motor leads, does it run? Swap the leads, does it run the other way? If these locos are old with a lot of time you may need new brushes and clean the commutator. Or possibly a new motor, apply power directly to the motor like I posted above will tell you if its usable.

Is there a diode hiding in there? Perhaps from a botched up constant lighting attempt?

Does it make any noise in the reverse direction?

Where are you going to find a 'new' motor for a Mantua Pacific?

Depending on the age of your loco's try here for a motor for older Mantua loco's

Back