Static Grass's...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Morning All,

Has anyone used Static Grass on their layout? If anyone has, what do you think of it and is it as good as is advertised by the companies that make it? Does it really "stand up" on its own like real grass?

The cost of the applicator always kept me from trying it. Always thought it would look good for tall grass if the length and colors were somewhat varied but not for lawns around a house or in a park. There are other options for tall grass anyway.

Yes I have used it and it does work but you have to be careful. First I know one club that uses an old DC power pack from a train set because they feel that the batteries don't give you enough voltage. Second, you have to do small areas or the grass will lay down, which looks awful (ask me how I know!)

I had bought the applicator last year but have not tried it. There should be all kinds of how tos for making one kicking around such as on youtube.

So bottom line is that it does work but you need one of those applicators to put it down. I can't justify spending $150 - $200 on something just to lay a little grass.

Thanks for the feed back guys - looks like I am back to the good old fashion methods.

Ten bucks and you can be in business with a homemade applicator. All you need to buy is a Harbor Freight electric fly swatter, a metal sieve and two D cell batteries. Spend a little time with a screwdriver and soldering iron and bingo!

Bob,

Seriously? If I can make one that cheaply, it would be worth while. You wouldn't want to give me the step by step instructions for making this thing would you?

If you don't want to bother making one GrassTech makes a unit ($40) very much like the one shown in the DIY video.

Here U go Tony

[video=youtube;SrffkoNFKL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrffkoNFKL4[/video]

Thanks for the link Hawke ...looks dangerous though, I'd probably fry myself with it :rolleyes:

I got mine off of Ebay for about $30.00 or so. To me, it was worth it not to have to build it myself.

If you don't want to bother making one GrassTech makes a unit ($40) very much like the one shown in the DIY video.

Railrunner and fcwilt,

Thanks guys, the Grass Tech one sounds like the thing at a reasonable price too. I'll definitely take a look at that.

Just seen the GrassTechFlocker for $39 +/- and that does look ideal for what I want. Not doing anything major so I think that will be perfect.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back