Static grass

oldelpa

To make a short story long, the money I was going to use towards a $70 static grass applicator I spent on roses for my wife's 75 birthday (she's been so good putting up with the messes and helping on the layout). So, in lieu of an applicator, can I use a battery power DeWalt shop vac to make the grass stand up or do I need to start saving again? I hate to buy the grass and have it laying around if I really need the applicator. TKS

Happy Birthday to your wife!

I don't think a shop vac, battery powered or otherwise, is going to give you the kind of results you would really want for static grass. You can build your own static grass applicator for a lot less than $70, if you have the time and desire. There are YouTube videos on how to do this. Do a google search and it should pop up all kinds of instructions and videos.

I've had parts to construct one for several years now. But since it seems like I'm always too busy as the president of our local procrastinator's club, I just haven't found the time to do it. :p ;)😁

Last edited:
You won't place more than 20% of the grass than you would with the static applicator. Sorry. Your breathing and involuntary muscle movements will cause the wand to vary between X height above the glue and X+/- whatever-the-gross-variation it will turn out to be, but my bet will be at least 2 cm. There is something approximating the inverse-square law of light density that would work with a vacuum flow toward the nozzle. The closer you get, the suction would be on at least a geometric progression if not a exponential one (maybe an engineer or physicist could explain it better).

So where would the bulk of the flocking and static grass end up? It would be in the bad or reservoir of the vacuum. You could probably use it again, but you'd vacuum up a sizeable proportion of that load as well.

Since your wife is now distracted by the flowers she might not notice a small patch cut from one of her stockings?
Poke a little in the vacuum tube and put a rubber band around the remainder on the outside of the nozzle.
This will collect any grass that gets sucked up off the layout if/when you try.

Since your wife is now distracted by the flowers she might not notice a small patch cut from one of her stockings?
Poke a little in the vacuum tube and put a rubber band around the remainder on the outside of the nozzle.
This will collect any grass that gets sucked up off the layout if/when you try.
You could use a stocking, but any thin fabric will work, actually.

I got the vacuum idea after reading how some modelers use it to get 12mm (?) grass to stand better.
You won't place more than 20% of the grass than you would with the static applicator. Sorry. Your breathing and involuntary muscle movements will cause the wand to vary between X height above the glue and X+/- whatever-the-gross-variation it will turn out to be, but my bet will be at least 2 cm. There is something approximating the inverse-square law of light density that would work with a vacuum flow toward the nozzle. The closer you get, the suction would be on at least a geometric progression if not a exponential one (maybe an engineer or physicist could explain it better).

So where would the bulk of the flocking and static grass end up? It would be in the bad or reservoir of the vacuum. You could probably use it again, but you'd vacuum up a sizeable proportion of that load as well.
You're talking over my head but if I understand right it might work to some degree but would be a pain in the butt?

Happy Birthday to your wife!

I don't think a shop vac, battery powered or otherwise, is going to give you the kind of results you would really want for static grass. You can build your own static grass applicator for a lot less than $70, if you have the time and desire. There are YouTube videos on how to do this. Do a google search and it should pop up all kinds of instructions and videos.

I've had parts to construct one for several years now. But since it seems like I'm always too busy as the president of our local procrastinator's club, I just haven't found the time to do it. :p ;)😁
Supposedly, from what I've read, homemade applicators don't have enough change for grass over 2-4mm. I'd enjoy building one if I knew it wasn't a waste of time and effort. BTW...Wifie was surprised and thrilled by the roses. Well worth giving up the applicator if I have to.

Supposedly, from what I've read, homemade applicators don't have enough change for grass over 2-4mm. I'd enjoy building one if I knew it wasn't a waste of time and effort. BTW...Wifie was surprised and thrilled by the roses. Well worth giving up the applicator if I have to.
I've spoken to a few ppl who have done this, it does take a while to master, but they all seem happy with the eventual result, all have used various techniques, seems it's more down to what works for you.
Personally I cheat, and use grass matting

I made one from a $3 electric fly swatter from Harbor Freight and $1.25 metal strainer from one of the dollar stores. It worked well enough to use 2mm and 4mm static grass on my N scale layout.

1674573643914.png

I have used it to make tufts of grass / weeds, and also to do fairly large fields too.

However, I quickly came to teh conclusion that static grass isn't really all that much better than regular old foam based "fine turf" which is a lot simpler to use and a lot cheaper.

For larger scales, I think static grass is great, but with N scale, the shortest you can get (2mm grass) is the equivalent of grass that is a little over a foot long. 4mm grass would be knee high.

1674573928533.png

I got the vacuum idea after reading how some modelers use it to get 12mm (?) grass to stand better.

You're talking over my head but if I understand right it might work to some degree but would be a pain in the butt?
Probably it would work, but I believe that this method comes AFTER having used a proper applicator. You still need to purchase or to fabricate a static applicator, use it to place grass in a pool of white glue or scenic cement. and then use the vacuum held some distance above to encourage the individual filaments to stand more erect. I am assuming that in this case, a vacuum passed over 'grass' already embedded in glue won't be so quick to make many filaments leave the glue and to end up coating the inside of your vacuum wand with sticky 'grass'. But I'm not convinced.

If it were me, I'd figure out how to get the most out of the original 'recipe' for using a static applicator, glue, and whichever grass you want to leave there. Maybe let the glue dry a bit longer, and then apply the grass using a strong electrical static so that the grass ends up erect without having to resort to another electric device to improve the job.

You can make a decent applicator following Luke Towan's video. It uses a strong 15-20 kv ion generator. The flyswatters only produce 3 kv and barely create enough static field to lift 2-4 mm grass.

Applicator by Luke Towan:

This is all from my research, not experience. I've been researching this the last few days, watching video after video. I have a flyswatter and will be making one myself, until I can afford a better option.

I don't really need it, I just want it. :) I'm doing N scale like @JeffH up there. My plan is to use fine turf (old school grass), then highlight areas with bits of static grass.

The one I made works great. It may only produce 3kv, but that thing has thumped me a couple of times now. It's not pleasant, lol!

I suppose a stronger ion generator would work better, but my $5 Franken-applicator seemed to do the trick nicely. But in the end, even 2mm static grass is too long for your typical lawn when doing N scale. It's fine for a cow pasture or open field, though. And the 4mm grass would make great prairie grass height stuff.

I built one using an ion generator from Amazon and strainer from the dollar store.
A piece of 1-1/4" plastic plastic sink drain pipe served as a handle and
housing for the ion generator and battery. It was a fun build. Watched some
videos on technique and tried different size grasses on various spots on the layout.
Some came out better-some worse-but worth the experience.

I could have purchased a static grass applicator; but for me, part of the
allure of model railroading is not purchasing things but making them,
especially from things laying around the house.

Last edited:
Bought a static applicator weeks ago (5000v) and finally used it today. Not impressed. Using 4mm grass, to say it "stands up" is quite a stretch. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I used a 50/50 mix of MP and water and didn't apply this mixture too thick. Can you put too much grass on at one time?

I looked at Static Grass and Applicators last year and after reading a bunch of stuff about them and talking to people who had them I came to the conclusion that they were greatly over rated and if you wanted one that worked well, you'd be paying hundreds of dollars. I think that is something you are starting to discover.

I took my little shop vac and got up all the excess grass as soon as I was done thinking it might help....nope. Waited a couple hrs and used the wifes vac to try and 'pull' it up......nope! It looked like a hay field after a hard rain and wind storm, all knocked over. It did add a little bit of texture so maybe it wasn't a total waste. (sigh) Live and learn. Tom

I took my little shop vac and got up all the excess grass as soon as I was done thinking it might help....nope. Waited a couple hrs and used the wifes vac to try and 'pull' it up......nope! It looked like a hay field after a hard rain and wind storm, all knocked over. It did add a little bit of texture so maybe it wasn't a total waste. (sigh) Live and learn. Tom
It seems to be a hit and miss with static grass, some have had good results others not so much, there appears it takes some practice to "get it right".
From what I've read, the home made applicators work better than shop bought ones too.
Perseverance may get you there, I don't use static grass simply because I don't have the patience it requires, the grass mats are fine for me.

Back