Starting Small

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
I've started my first scratchbuilt project --- the promised outhouse. (I believe in starting small.) It will look like the sketch below (I hope).

I had an old redwood trellis that we didn't need anymore. We had stained it, but it was pretty beat up, so I attacked the 1/2-inch by 1/8-thick slats with a small wire brush. It cleaned up pretty well.

The privy will be 3.5 inches tall at the front, a "little shorter" at the back, and 2.5 inches wide. It will be anchored to a footing and have a step. We hope that will keep neighborhood kids from knocking it over. The little man in the last picture is showing me roughly how tall it needs to be.

So far, the side walls are glued and shaped, and the back wall is glued, but not yet cut to size. Tomorrow I shall try to rip some boards for the door and trim. I'll let you know how it turns out if I haven't Dremeled any fingers. :D

The Line Forms to the Right...

Well, the guys are happier now. :D I still have all my fingers, and have learned A LOT over the past few days. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to mortice that hinge. :D I think I'll work on the chicken coop next.

Now I am really jelous, :eek: that's excellent work and staging Claudia, and it makes a great scene behind the bar. You can give yourself a pat on the back for me for a job well done.
clappinghands.png

Cheers Willis

Thank you, kind Sir! :) Do you think it would look better if I painted the roof black, or attached some emery paper to make it look like a tarpaper roof? The roof looks a little out of scale to me the way it is....

Tarpaper roof is ok have to keep some of the rain out, wet's the catalog / er paper you know :D Most I saw on them in days past was white wash or just weathered wood, a few were shingeled and painted :)
Cheers willis

Claudia -

As to your roof, I'm not sure how it was done out west, but in the Midwest, where icicles form in the winter, some type of covering was added. Typically, it was patched together leftovers of whatever was used to roof the adjacent structure. Usually shingles or shakes, but occasionally corrugated metal or tarpaper. I'd roof it with whatever is on the saloon (or something close).

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! You reminded me that I once saw an article somewhere describing how to make corrugated roofing from a soda can. Now, if I can only find it again. :D

Outhouse roof

I've modeled two n scale proto-typical outhouses for my layout to match local accomodations, "Utah" tar-paper is the norm here, with the winters, Sun and climate changes being so constant, we don't like to replace things we don't have to. It looks really cool, I'll bet the chicken coop is cool too. Also check out the Sawmill in Model Railroader October 2005 just out the details are astounding and may lend themselves to your need. I think the intricated details make all the difference on a great layout and a mediocre one.

Thanks Rudy Benoit :cool:

Thanks, Rudy and Josh! I'm still up to my ears in the infamous Hotel project described in the Weekend Photo Fun (WPF) threads, but I'll get back to the outhouse pretty soon. Also, a few more chickens have "hatched" so the coop looks better now, too. I'll post more pics soon.

For corrugated roofing, go to Micheal's or other craft shops and look for a paper crimper. Collect your Coke cans, cut the top and bottom off and run them through the crimper. Trim to size and hot glue them to the roof. The aluminum gets pretty hot but if you work quick, it's not a problem.

That sounds like a great idea, capt turk!! I spend quite a lot of time running to Michael's lately, so I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks very much, and WELCOME to the forums!

Claudia,

Real Nice Modeling! Next time you go for a dental checkup
ask the Doc for 1 or 2 of those cotton rolls they use. Cut with
a razor blade and you will some nice rolls of TP!

Thanks for the great idea, Larry! I thought of my dentist today --- wondered what they do with those devilish poke-and-prod tools when they're damaged or worn out. Seems to me they'd make great implements for fine sculpting of precision details. Even in G scale, I get a little frustrated with X-acto tools and chip-carving knives. Guess I should sign up for my every-two-year "six-month-checkup." :D

Claudia, I just had to take this pic. We were railfanning today and took a little woods walk beside the track. That's when we discovered this old outhouse. It isn't quite as nice as your version. :D I hope they had a bucket, cause there isn't a hole dug there. :eek: Looks kind of breezy too. :D

124123935.gif

Back