Starting Over - a Poll

What would you change to if you could start over? You may pick 1 scale and 1 type.

• Z scale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N scale

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • HO scale

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • S scale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O scale

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • G or F scale

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Standard Gauge

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Narrow Gauge

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Traction

• Live Steam / Diesel

• Total voters

NH Mike

CEO & Wheel Cleaner
If you could start all over again with no layout to tear down and no items to sell off, what would you work in? Even if you would not change, check whatever you are now modelling. Check all that apply ex: HO scale / Traction

Z scale

N scale

HO scale

S scale

O scale

G or F scale

Standard gauge

Narrow gauge

Traction

Live steam

Last edited by a moderator:
Check it again Jeffery, you might have seen the post before the poll got added? Already has some votes by others.

Maybe I'm missing the point. Are you asking whether we would change TO these scales/types or FROM them to something new? I wouldn't change anything except possibly the physical layout. I love HO scale!

If I were starting from scratch and my eyes were what they were when I started in HO I would go with N scale. I have a 25 foot by 10 foot HO layout in my basement. I sometimes think of how HUGE that would be if it were in N scale. However, I am quite pleased with HO and have no desire to change. Neat post though

I model HO but I think I would switch to N scale. I'm more excited about building the world around the trains than the trains themselves. A smaller scale would allow me to build more of that world.

I take it back! After "planting" little tufts of Silfor this morning I don't think I could do the same stuff in N scale. Of course I wouldn't need to see the grass as well in N scale.:) I just need a bigger layout for my HO stuff!:D

I would definitely go O scale. The two rail. I helped a friend in Mobile build on his 35' x 50' O scale layout. There was no wimpy L-girder or plain grid work benchwork. His trains were HEAVY! It was amazing when he would run his Max Gray N&W Class A 2-6-6-4 on a coal drag of 50, 50' Hoppers! Each car averaged about 1-2 lbs each! It would go off into a siding so his CLW SRR Ps-4 could pass with 15 Walthers 80' passenger cars. His smallest engine was a Lobaugh USRA 0-8-0 that weighed almost 15 lbs. He loaded all of his locos with all the lead he could cram into each. I'd love to have something like that.

Do we HAVE to change scales?
If I were doing it anew, I would still stick with HO!!
I already changed to HO scale 6 years ago when I got back into the hobby from childhood/teen O/O27 and N scales!

Do we HAVE to change scales?
If I were doing it anew, I would still stick with HO!!
I already changed to HO scale 6 years ago when I got back into the hobby from childhood/teen O/O27 and N scales!

This is from post #1 in this thread. The first post under the poll.

If you could start all over again with no layout to tear down and no items to sell off, what would you work in? Even if you would not change, check whatever you are now modelling. Check all that apply ex: HO scale / Traction

It wasn't asking anyone to change scales, only inquiring that IF you did what would you change to.

Given the size of my condo, I would switch to N scale. I have plenty of room right now for my HO layout, however, it doesn't leave any room what so ever for my main interest which is pool.

If I knocked out a wall in my basement and switched to an around the walls N scale layout at around shoulder height I could fit a small 7' pool table. (maybe)

Before I got a significant other, I was tempted to get rid of all my furniture in my upstairs living room and put a table in there. (it would be tight).

I have done N, HO, HOn3, and ONE N&W CF caboose in O. I have seen some outdoor G engines and rolling stock I might be able to use. I would like to model the N&W but I don't have THAT BIG of a yard to play. Track is VERY EXPENSIVE per foot, unless I fabricate my OWN track and ballast support as hand layed track and ties for the basic layout and use store bought turnouts. ($$$$$) I would end up with a few 2-8-8-2's and probably fabricate a few N&W M Class locos using the old Aristocraft 2-8-0 (Old timer style) engines, PVC tube boiler and such. I'd end up fabricating hoppers and cabooses in G scale because they are N&W specific, nobody makes them commercially. I could fabricate the components and make molds so as to produce multiple copies of both. Good thing I'm not HARD CORE......

Well I voted for On30 originally, but now that I've picked up more G scale stuff I think that's the way I would go, not as much track but details galore!

I've currently got a 25x9 foot, roughly, size HO layout. I'm going to start a small N scale layout when I move outta my parents house next year. I've got the track plans drawn up for a Midwest style granger line that's based mostly on switching and detail!!!! I've always had a HO layout but with space limitations N scale will be the way to go for now. I really enjoy the details and building the layout more than anything and having a finished product quickly isn't my goal. When I have the money and large enough basement I plan on doing a good sized HO set up

---
- Sent from my phone

Back