Starting from scratch; new layout

You may want to Private Message Marty, he has some pictures somewhere, I remember seeing them on how he did his roadbed, he may be out of town, he mentioned an operating session out east. I think he may have posted some over at MR Forums in the general discussion area.

Latest update

Good morning everyone: Just wanted to stay on top of this venture.

I've decided to either order my track through one of two sites, going with Aristocraft track, and hopefully I'll figure out which one will be best priced on shipping...

Once its ordered, I expect shipment in probably 1-2 weeks, which will give me plenty of time to work the ground, get some track subroad dug and leveled, and tidy up the place a bit. Oh, and I'll be able to work on some of the buildings as well.

Updates

Good day to you all.

I've been remiss in updating this thread, so I thought I would give you all a little update as to whats been going on.

We have just under 100ft of track in a basic loop, 35+ feet long, and 16+ feet deep. After having a couple weeks of frustrating running with a very small controller, a friend lent me a Crest Train Engineer transformer and receiver, and we've been able to run the entire Christmas train now.

Here are a few pics of what we have.

layout20051.png

Here is an almost entire layout shot. On the right side you can see the 4-6-0 Annie sitting waiting to take a few test loops.

Hostagulch5.png

Had to cut and build the retaining wall for Hosta Valley, and it makes a nice break up of the otherwise level track line.

Anniewaiting.png

A picture of the 4-6-0 waiting for the go ahead to make her first test runs.

mainline.png

Running through the layout during a Christmas lights run.

lights2005a.png

Had to show the rest of the lights.

roofverse.png

And this years roof bible verse!

Hostavalleypull.png

Turning through Hosta Valley in the dark.

So we're having some fun with it, and already working on the expansion in 2006 after the holidays are over.

Woody,
Your yard layout and decorations are TOP NOTCH! And the light displays definitely show the true meaning of Christmas! Thanx for posting these.

How exciting to see the progress you've made. The layout is coming together beautifully. I'm sure you're very pleased, and I imagine the neighbor kids are excited, too. I'll bet you're the most popular guy on the block. :)

Thanks guys and gals,

What is even more exciting than this, is we've already started our plans and remodels for 2006!!

The Shadow Creek and Augusta Railroad is on the drawing board, complete with over 450 feet of mainline track, another 100 feet of short line and sidings, and at last count 5 towns that will inhabit the railroad.

If any of you have RR track for G scale, I have a link for the proposed layout as it stands right now. Of course things will change as contractors and crews assess the sites and make grade plans and through fare routes.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/ballhog24//Shadow Creek & Augusta.rrt

If any of you look through this and want to make suggestions or ask questions, please feel free to do so.

Back