Spur Ballasting...

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
I've allways liked the ballasting job that was done on the Miramar area tracks, so I took a few pictures of it today. Hope this inspires someone!

I take it it hasn't been tamped down? Normally I wouldn't think of finding ballast, esp. that much, on top of the ties.

They need less on top of the ties and more between the ties. The rock they use is also a bit on the small side, notice there are two distinct sizes of rock, one large (the good stuff) and one smaller (not so good).

However, from the modeler's point of view, this is quite typical of many spur tracks and would make a good model.

modelbob said:
They need less on top of the ties and more between the ties. The rock they use is also a bit on the small side, notice there are two distinct sizes of rock, one large (the good stuff) and one smaller (not so good).

However, from the modeler's point of view, this is quite typical of many spur tracks and would make a good model.

That's what I love about these type pics, they can be inspiring to an energetic modeler.

grande man said:
That's what I love about these type pics, they can be inspiring to an energetic modeler.
Or just give me an excuse for being too lazy to brush all the ballast off the ties before gluing it down :rolleyes:

JeffShultz said:
I take it it hasn't been tamped down? Normally I wouldn't think of finding ballast, esp. that much, on top of the ties.
Don't get me started on this trackage... I gets a WHOLE lot worse! I know I have shots somewhere lemme find them later today.

sushob said:
Or just give me an excuse for being too lazy to brush all the ballast off the ties before gluing it down :rolleyes:
Just some Fine N scale ballast and you're golden!

P.S. I didn't even realize I passed 2000!

Here's some low quality video camera caps from 2005:

This one is about a mile away from the previous shots, and its kinda hard to see, but the ballast is about a inch lower then the railhead. They did some work back in '04 on the switches, and they used a backhoe, so there's still tire indentions where they drove (the gravel is still fairly well packed directly down the center of the rail). There's a PILE of fine ballast everywhere, and little to none around the switches, some are exposed to bare dirt.
View attachment 4286

Two shots from around the plastic plant
View attachment 4287

View attachment 4288

Back