SPSF Kodachrome Behemoths: DD35 & AC6000

Zephyr

Rocket Red
This weekend I finished up my two largest SPSF locomotives to date. Overall, the Athearn DD35 turned out to be easier than the Broadway Limited AC6000 due to simplicity - less parts, etc. The AC6000 was a chore but I think it turned out good and I hope to add at least one more to my modern fleet.

In 2006, the SPSF changed its logo from the basic four letters back to the Santa Fe. The AC6000/DD35 reflect this change. The DD35 needs some heavy weathering due to its current limited role working in a local yard. The AC6000 will help haul many a unit coal train in the western US for years into the future...

Without further delay, I present to you the DD35 and AC6000 - enjoy!

DD35 - this is a dummy, former UP 77.
img39466qg.jpg

img39491dz.jpg

AC6000 - this is the BLI Stealth Series, undecorated.
img39587ji.jpg

img39510lo.jpg

img39574pu.jpg

img39501ou.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bravo !!

Nice to see the 'Kodachrome' live again. I used to got to Ft. Madison Ia., back when they had tons of units re-painted for the failed merger. Thanks for taking me back.:cool:

Johnny

Beautiful!! I love posts like these, always worth opening and checking out others' handywork.

You bet, guys. Glad you enjoy the work. I have more kodachrome projects up my sleeve - more old Athearn kits to "update" and also (a little later) I plan to do another AC4400CW plus a B40-8W and perhaps a C44-9W.

Back