Spray Bottles???

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Am sure this has been asked a 1000 times before; however, I'm going to ask again -

Does anyone know of a Spray Bottle, Squirt Bottle or similar that DOES NOT CLOG when using a White Glue/Water mix for scenery - ground cover etc?

If no one has had success with a particle product ... then how on earth do you stop the NOZZLES from clogging up?

Don't think there is anything that will "spray" a glue mix.
I use an old ketchup squeeze bottle and cheap paint brush to lay down the glue them spread it. Sprinkle the ground cover on that. Put a few drops of dish soap in the glue mix to break the surface tension then your ground cover will soak into it.

@D&J RailRoad

That is what I suspected as well, but was being optimistic I guess. I do as you do at the moment as well - one condiment bottle for the glue/water mix and another for the alcohol. Put down the ground cover, flood with alcohol then drip the glue/water mix.

Hi Tony,

I bought a cheap small bottle meant to be used as a travel accessory, has a little spray pump, holds about an ounce. It does a good mist, however does get periodically clogged. I just spray pure water through it a few times then get a few more sprays of the glue mixture.

It is part luck I believe. Also, I believe the commercial product "scenic cement" sprays better and has a much longer shelf life than your home mixed white glue mixture. Not sure about "matte medium", but I think that will spray better as well.

Hi Tony,

I bought a cheap small bottle meant to be used as a travel accessory, has a little spray pump, holds about an ounce. It does a good mist, however does get periodically clogged. I just spray pure water through it a few times then get a few more sprays of the glue mixture.

It is part luck I believe. Also, I believe the commercial product "scenic cement" sprays better and has a much longer shelf life than your home mixed white glue mixture. Not sure about "matte medium", but I think that will spray better as well.
That is a good point Dave, something I hadn't considered. I used to use Matte Medium (a long time ago) I might get a small amount and see if that works any better. I am now thinking about sealing paint/ground coloring more than anything else.
Cheap Pipettes.
Ironically, I have a bunch of them and never thought about using them for that purpose ......... :rolleyes:

That is a good point Dave, something I hadn't considered. I used to use Matte Medium (a long time ago) I might get a small amount and see if that works any better. I am now thinking about sealing paint/ground coloring more than anything else.

Ironically, I have a bunch of them and never thought about using them for that purpose ......... :rolleyes:
I actually got to where I very seldom use the spray. I eye dropper the surface moist (not wet) to start then use the eye dropper to adhere anything that doesn't soak up the base application.

The spray was messy and I am a neat freak.

Dave LASM

Spray bottles vary in quality. If you can find a janitorial grade of spray bottle at a hardware store or big box store, chances are good that it will be a better sprayer than something you might find at a dollar store or other cheap discount store. It might cost a little more, but it's worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Elmer's Glue-All and Mod Podge (acrylic medium) look a lot alike and act a lot alike, but have two very different and useful properties. Elmer's glue is not water proof when dry. After it dries, it can be easily softened up by wetting it down again with water. I like to secure ground foam and track ballast with Elmer's. Later on, if you want to reclaim ballasted track or make changes to scenery, simply wet everything down to aid in removing it.

On the other hand, Mod Podge, although it's water based, is very water-resistant when dry. It doesn't soften up easily at all if you re-wet it. I like using Mod Podge for tree building and modeling water surfaces (use gloss medium for shiny water surfaces, NOT matte medium). Once trees are foliaged and surfaces are watered, I don't have to worry about covering them later on if I come back in and do some more scenery work. If they get wet from spraying more water in the vicinity, no big deal. The ground foam stays put on the trees, and the modeled water surfaces don't turn into a gooey mess.

For either Elmer's or Mod Podge, you have to mix them quite thin in order to spray them. Too thick, and the solids don't want to atomize properly, thereby "splattering" out of the nozzle instead of "spraying" or "misting". I have found about a 5:1 ratio is about as heavy as you want to go with your scenery mixture (5 parts water, 1 part glue) in order to get a good misting "spray" out of the sprayer nozzle. Once again, too thick of a mixture, and it will start splattering out as opposed to misting out.

And adding a few drops of dish detergent to the mixture as a wetting agent doesn't seem to hurt anything either. 👍

I only use a spray bottle for water/alcohol mixture (60:40) to wet everything down, either ground foam and other scenery products or ballast. Then I drip the water glue mixture (again 60:40 with a few drops of Dawn liquid detergent) over it. I mix the glue in used Elmers Glue All bottles that have the dripper applicator.
I don't believe that a spray bottle can be used easily with glue.

I pretty much will second Willie’s method. I use spray bottles now around the layout just to moisten the area being worked on. I use paper towels to cover the area I don’t want touched as Smudge617 does.

I use the glue mix (Elmers Glue-All) applied using an eye dropper. I no longer use the Mod Podge for any scenic elements

I also spray with watered down IPA, then come along with diluted Elmers in an irrigation bottle. I find that I can easily manipulate the amount that comes out quite well with these squeeze-type bottles without having to invert the whole bottle.
1675805830740.png

The only bottle (with product) I've used without clogging is "War World Scenics - Layering Spray Adhesive"
The glue product is very good and the sprayer maintenance is to "immediately after use, unscrew nozzle and
pump through warm soapy water to remove excess glue."

Perhaps the sprayer maintenance instruction might help you out.
As mentioned above - cover any area you dont want sprayed.

I still have plenty of this glue (500ml) and have not emptied the bottle to try other mixes.
For most of my work I use a 4:1 mix of . Elmers & wet water mix and a pipette.

When I'm doing scenery, I'm doing a couple square feet at a time. It would take forever if I used an eye dropper.
I never use the alcohol, just the 50/50 water/glue mix with a couple drops of dish soap in the ketchup bottle.

I use a spray bottle with a water/alcohol/detergent mix (3:1:couple drops) and then a ketchup or mustard dispenser (the old diner style, red or yellow with pointed spout) for the glue mix (50:50 white glue and water with a couple drops of dish detergent). The spray bottle is one I got at a hardware store for window washing, etc.

I apply ground cover or ballast, use the sprayer to wet the area, then use the ketchup dispenser to flood the area with glue.

I never spray glue.

then how on earth do you stop the NOZZLES from clogging up?
Don't put glue in it.
When I do landscape and ballast I use a mist type pump sprayer with a drop of dish soap and wet the surface to break the surface tension. After wetting, then the 50/50 glue and water mix gets dipped onto the ground foam/ ballast from the glue bottle. This is the closest pic I could find for an example.
IMG_3076.jpg

Disclaimer: I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS.

You could try mixing that powdered glue with whatever scenery/ballast/(even dust?) you want to fix in place, and then use something more like an airbrush to gently mist or soak your work with just water (or "thinned" water. The airbrush won't clog because you are not spraying any sort of glue through it, but there will be that powdered glue in place, just waiting to be activated by the next good (N-scale) rainstorm that comes along....

:D

As I said, I haven't tried it, have not a clue (other'n a far distant memory of someone having success with it) even what color the powders are--I want to say the originals were white--but because these are used for woodworking too, so you may find colors out there. Weldwood makes one in a tan color, for example:

This one says "clear," and it claims it dries clear at least, which would be good.

-------------------

I have the idea water alone is a suitable catalyst for all of these. I would guess some added alcohol or dish soap "wettener" to thin out the water so it more easily settles down between the grains, for example--could only help. Make "Wetter Water," as it were, and run that through an airbrush to make a good N-scale rainstorm.

Along those lines, another wetting additive/solution, way back in the day and still around now is Kodak Photo Flo:

-----------

And last...there are several videos on Youtube that might be of help using these powdered glues. Here's just one, where you can see the color of the "tan" powdered Weldwood:

Hope this is of interest to you or someone else, and good luck!

Last edited:

Back