Split points...

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Have you EVER seen something like this? *Crosses finges that the picture shows*
Split+point+derail.jpg

Oh in this case, from wandering into the lake. The bridge in the background was fed from a wye on either end, and was frequently in the "up" position, and due to this, each wye had split derails. This kept lazy engineer's from dumping a car, although IIRC there's no know case of the splits ever having to do their job, the bridge was well dispatched.

Anyways, this is the ONLY digital/non-digital picture I've EVER seen of this particular derail, on that bridge, it seems local railfans in the 1900's never caught on that they'd ever "go away" or even to the fact that there were no pictures of the approches that allowed you to see the derail's detail. I had frequently seen questions posted about pictures in various forums, now I have a pic.

I remember seeing these when I was a youngon' before they tore up the rail, but at that age, I didn't have the knowage to know *I want a pic of those*...

I'm looking for other various pictures of the Local Hancock/Houghton area of MI, but its a thoughy when there were about 7 "known" railfans, 3 of which who were known to HAVE pictures. There has to be more, but its a toughy...

EDIT Also, after inspection the picture HAS to have been after the 80's as the background shows a parking deck built in the 80's, AND, I'd say late 80's early 90's as the bridge is green, its now blue, blue since 1997 I think, and the rails were not used anymore, the tops are rusty, not shiny so there's an amount of time, actually in Northern MI, one winter, passed since use. There's now a parking lot here for the local Ramada Inn.

Oh and hey, check out that, un, ballast... Thats poor quality!! "Stamp" sand from the local area...

Last edited by a moderator:
These types of derail are common when operating on the Chicago district. They are found at interlockings and especially where junctions merge with passenger lines. Although I'm not sure, I would venture that most large metro-areas practice the same.

Johnny

Back