Specific Heights of Rolling Stock

beiland

I'm looking to pin down the actual heights of some of our larger rolling stock and locos. Thought it might be interesting to put all of this info in one subject thread. In this particular case for HO scale equipment.

I want to be sure I provide enough clearance for helix structures, and other tunnel and bridge situations. Here is an example of a helix photo that was sent to me, but it is a little unclear as to the 97mm clearance figure (3.82 inches)
Dbl Stack Clearance, 97mm.JPG

Another gentleman offered a real time measurement of well car dbl stacks,...
I just measured the height of a well car with stacked containers. From the rail head to the top of the containers was 2 3/4". Take it from there.

Other observations of tall cars or locos?

Genesis AUTO-MAX cars

Just made a quick trip down to my storage trailer and discovered a few tall cars I had forgotten I had,....these Genesis articulated Auto-Max cars. I think I have 2 sets of 2 cars each set. Wonderful detail. I just have to have enough clearance to run a few of these.

ATHG4401-450.jpg

I did quick measurement without removing them from their packaging and it appears they are about 2 7/8 inches high. Their website says 20 ft tall protoypically, which would be 2 3/4 inches high.

Gg-1

Someone said watch out for GG-1's with their electrical pantographs. I just checked mine, and with the pantographs down it was only 2.5 inches high at the most.

And why would anybody run one of these up a helix with the pantographs up??

There is an NMRA gauge for this type of work. It several measurements for track width, flange clearance, car height and profile as well as wheel placement on axles.

Back