Speaking of B&P 926

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I took this picture earlier this month and posted it yesterday. I had noticed that it had been painted and the hood lowered.

butler09.gif

Then today, I found this. I told the guy I wasn't going to get it because MicroScale was out of the decals and he had to find a set in stock.

WalthersGP-9.gif

So I have a couple issues to deal with.

First of all, I don't know how to remove the decals. I've simply never done it before. The toughie will be removing the G&W circle without disturbing the stripe.

Secondly, the orange color is some sort of weird dayglo fluorescent. How can I tone it down without repainting the whole thing? For the $29.95 that I paid for it, it is not worth stripping and painting. If I was going to do that. I'd be looking at an undecorated Atlas with sound. Any ideas. Certainly it will look better once I paint the exhaust vents and handrails, but come on, what were those guys thinking?

Lastly, are there any issues I should know about before I install a decoder. I haven't run this thing, and I won't probably until after it has a decoder. I have a choice. I can put in a Digitrax that runs about $18, or an NCE which runs about $29. I have both sitting around. I don't want to waste a NCE on a crappy runner.

Chip,

What brand is that geep...Walthers' Trainline? As somebody across the street was suggesting, I'd try to test-run it on a section of plain DC track before investing in a decoder. No sense sinking lots of money into it if it doesn't run worth a d*** to begin with.

About the body, is it molded in orange plastic? If so, you should remove the shell and cover the inside with black paint, that will have the double effect of making the orange look darker on the outside, and eliminating the translucent plastic look.

(I'll post more later about making the B&P decals but it's late and I gotta drive to NYC tomorrow, want to get a good night's sleep for that!)

Chip for 30 bucks, if it runs good, thats just more money you can spend painting/detailing to have a really nice unit. But if it runs like a pile o stuff... then youd be lookin at another situation.

Ken, be careful goin to NYC..crazy drivers!

I posted over there that My home layout is not built for a Geep. Will get hung up on rocks and stuff. The club has a no DC rule so I have to at least put a decoder in. It is a Walther's Trainline.

I already have a set of B&P decals.

Last edited by a moderator:
AHhh well i suppose you can always take the decoder back out..

but as said before if it runs good, id paint it up to look correct.. 30 bucks is a heck of a deal

My old "beater" Trainline GP9M ran like a dream, though it was so cheep (or the previous own was weird) that it had no window glass. I no longer have it, as a relative stole it out of my dad's closet.

At $30, if it runs well, it's a great model to strip and paint. I understand that Floquil Reefer Orange works pretty well for the GWI orange paint color.

If you just want to get rid of the logo, you can try using Micro-sol. Soak a q-tip in it and rub it on the area you want to remove. Wait about 15 minutes, then do it again - the logo will probably start coming off. You do have to be careful with the stripes, but if you do get a set of GWI decals, if they are like the WPRR ones they will have "stub stripes" as part of the logo.

At $30, if it runs well, it's a great model to strip and paint. I understand that Floquil Reefer Orange works pretty well for the GWI orange paint color.

If you just want to get rid of the logo, you can try using Micro-sol. Soak a q-tip in it and rub it on the area you want to remove. Wait about 15 minutes, then do it again - the logo will probably start coming off. You do have to be careful with the stripes, but if you do get a set of GWI decals, if they are like the WPRR ones they will have "stub stripes" as part of the logo.

I'll give it a run then decide. IF I was going to put so much work into it, I would have gotten an undercorated Atlas with sound. Then I'd have something.

Back