spackle road question

Roodog

Hey all. Made my main drag mixing cheap acrylic craftstore paint in with light spackle and it turned out great for both my concrete and asphalt grade crossing. Now I need to weather it. To give some variation as on real roads, and then using an airbrush for the center darker areas, my plan was to use an india ink acohol wash, but I have concerns about that. Used it on a un-sealed building painted with these same acrylics and it stripped the paint off. Mixed-in acrylic with spackle then given a wash- do I need to dullcote my road first or anything? Should I not use a wash with alcohol, but instead Grimy Black and water? Need some guidance.

Okay, nothing there.
My test sample yielded nothing spectacular, except it slightly softened the paint/spackle mix for a few hours. It will always be a victim of the fingernail test I guess. If/when that happens it makes potholes to fill, which is one of the reasons I went that route (the color goes all the way through my spackle so I can just literally make "asphalt" outta light grey spackle to fill it, as in the real world). Also it made it look way too dark, and blotchy at any over-lap if I wasn't careful, but that could have been the strength of the idia ink I used. I'm thinking forget an idia ink wash and stick with those same acrylics as a wash, probably with water unless someone says go with alcohol?? Again I ask, no need to worry about sealing my street first?

Have you thought of maybe using chaulks to weather your roads?

If it doesnt turn out the way you want it should just wipe off. I would use dullcoat to seal in whatever you use.

i also used spackel for roads on my last layout. I just mixed in a color I wanted and then weathered with the air brush. worked great.

Roodog, just got around to the forum after a hiatus. I was planning to make some roads soon with spackle. I see you mixed acrylic paints in with the spackle. That sounds like a good idea. How much paint did you use?

I would think, it depends on how much paint to use, depending on what you want it to look like. I would always start off small, with a small batch of drywall compound and mix in a small amount of paint. And if your not satisfied mix in some more paint as you are constantly mixing...

I used Rust-oleum Chalkboard paint. It's the perfect color and dullness for simulating blacktop.

Mixing in the colors is just to get the right shade you are after. Start small, and maybe write down an aproximate amount of color used. Remember, the spackle is white so it takes a little, then a little more, them a little more, then some more, to get things as dark as you may want, then you have to add a small amount of another color or two. If not it looks just too flat and uniform and too brand-spanking-new. Before I knew it, my mix was kinda soupy, maybe like runny ketchup (??) but since September I can report no cracks. There is a base layer, then another 'coat', which I sanded smooth-ish, then a top coat for good measure, and sanded that too. Total thickness is maybe 1/16", maybe less, not sure.
Ok, thing to remember, mix it in the train room, where the lighting will dictate the proper color you are after. My batch upstairs in the kitchen looks a bit too yellow, but perfect for slightly-aged concrete in the train room. Use salsa jars or whatever has a decent lid- you want to mix up enough, but you want more than enough leftever so that you can let the coat dry and sand and generally see how it looks. Drying can affect the final color. A good jar with a lid keeps things good for other coats/touch-ups. I can honestly say that now in December the left-overs from September are still ready to go in my salsa jars.
Also, take you have and put some on a scrap slab of your road base- plywood, styrene, foam board, whatever, so that you have the exact same colors to experiment with for weathering techniques. Handy also so you can move it around the layout and see how light affects it!!

First I started with black. Black+white=gray..well, yes and no. It was asphalt, not the concrete color I wanted, so back to mixing other colors. I know I have a yellow in there, and a dark gray, a buff color for sure, and probably even a hint of Barn Red if I rememeber correctly. I'm pretty sure I got a dark Hunter Green-type color in there too, in an extrememely small amount. Taking just one tiny dip of a popsile stick's tip in the paint and get most of it off on the sides of your tray, then swirl it in. Do that for the red and green for sure. Subtle change, but believe me, you notice it if it isin't there! Aged asphalt has that charcter too, at least in my area.
To top top it off I didn't make quite enough, even though I thought I had, so I mixed more with my same formula. It was slightly different naturally, so that second (non-black) batch became the base coat, even though I had wanted to do it all as one coat. I was sure to sand LIGHTLY what I had down to smooth things out a bit, then added my third (final) batch over it, and sanded that too. Done! Took my right-angle (hobby square) and after marking off the appropriate scale distance between them, took a mechanical pencil and just lightly scribed in my lines. No need for a wash or anything to bring those out, that mechanical pencil (.7mm I think) has the consistant size and IMO color. I did have a few low spots that I didn't want to sand out. Probably would have made the road to unrealistcally lumpy. These areas were right near the tracks, as they are in real life, so the original too-dark batch (rememeber railroaders, rule #2...never throw anything away) which I had put in an empty salsa jar became an instant and real-life patch. Sanded that smooth, and there ya go. Haven't done my lines yet, but got ahold of a white paint marker, wide-tip. No one around here had anything but the fine tip for weeks, so I had to wait until they finally re-stocked them. I got one and ran test and it does indeed work perfect, as others on the internet have stated. You see the concrete color show through perfectly, so it is naturally weathered, so to speak. I doubted my airbrush ability to run dark tire lines for anything other than a foot, and my airbrush has wanted to splatter lately, through no fault of my own I'm sure, so I experimented with weathering powders. The colors I came up with working the best are Ash, Dust Bowl Brown and Grimy Gray. Used small cheap makeup sponges on a stick, from my local grocery store of all places. What I have now is a main drag. There will be a "side street" if I ever finallize the building placement, and I'm sure Iwon't have enough spackle/paint to cover it, but that isn't a problem. I still have the third batch in a jar so I can match things close enough, and besides, since this will be a side street the color would be off a little anyways. Maintanence schduals vary from street to street.

I'd originally considered Rustoleum or more likely one of Model Masters' grays, and was actually geared for that using the properly-sized foamboard, to scale width. I was going to spray it outside, then transfer it in and use foam-safe caulk to glue it down. But doing it the way I did allowed for a solid color thorughout, and with plenty of color variation achieved by using cheap acrylics. No worries of sand-throughs or accidental scratches to bare white foamboard.

I have also mixed acrylic paint with Plaster-of-Paris with fair results. When I was do a majority of my scenery, I used powdered Tempra paints with the plaster before adding water. Works very well. Unfortunately, powdered watercolor paints is becoming more and more difficult to come by. And I haven't found any black in that medium.

I have also mixed acrylic paint with Plaster-of-Paris with fair results. When I was do a majority of my scenery, I used powdered Tempra paints with the plaster before adding water. Works very well. Unfortunately, powdered watercolor paints is becoming more and more difficult to come by. And I haven't found any black in that medium.

One thing I've been wanting to experiment with is mixing dry black tempera with dry plaster and sifting it on (like Zip texturing.) I think it could give some nice color variation that mixing wet paint to wet plaster wouldn't give. I just wonder if the texture would be too rough for asphalt.
About a month ago I went looking for dry tempera at my local Michael's and Dick Blick. Neither carries it, though it can be ordered from Dick Blick's website.

Steve S

I had to purchase black from Amazon. You can still get other colors from Michaels, but the two you need most - Black and Brown - aren't in the stores...

Same problem here. Hard to try something on-the-cheap when you have to pay shipping and handling, so I went with what was locally available.

Asphalt Roadway Coloring

Just try mixing 50/50 Woodland Scenics Black with their Concrete and you'll get a nice asphalt road by brushing the mixture on the surface.

Highlight by dry brushing with Aged White.

Greg

Back